The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

help me pick a turbo!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitronical

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2004
st louis, Missouri
I have a 97 gst spyder upgrades are FMIC, intake, turboback exhaust, boost controller, clutch and fly. just enough to max the stock turbo out. well i am very happy with the power the t 25 puts out but my turbo is getting old and i'm shopping for a new one. since i'm replacing i figure i should also upgrade. I dont' want a 14b because i dont' want to buy used, only new. heres the thing, i want a quick spooling turbo with more power then my t25, but i never plan on tuning or ever getting any fuel mod other then a rewired fuel pump. so what turbo would be a good choice for me, also i would never run over 18 lbs and looking for a turbo that will max out my injectors before 18 lbs of boost.

I would go with a small 16g. Keep at psi around 15 and you'll be amazed how much stronger it pulls than the T25. I swiched from a T25 at 15psi to 14b on 15 psi and it blew me away. Also you might get a cool sound as a perk such as a more audible spool.

I agree entirely, just thought I'd point out the possibility. I just went from 14b to 16g and at the same boost levels the power difference is there, plus expandability.

thx everyone, now where can i get a 16g at a good price? what else will i need other then the turbo to complete the install?

If you want new, go with a vendor. A lot of them are having them on sale, and the install process is not that difficult.

I agree, since you are on T25, the easiest way for you to keep your spool but add top end flow is a big T28. It flows the same as a big 16G at 550cfm and you won't have to change any of your current piping. T28 is the easiest bolt on turbo upgrade from stock.

Buying one outright is kind of pricey compared to a 16G, but if you consider no need to modify your ic piping, it might be worth it. You can always send your T25 in to a vendor like AGP or FP for a T28 core swap, but if you do that make sure you get the 17psi actuator from Forced Performance ($99).

If i was you i would go with the big t28 it will spool so much quicker. If you put a 16g on you have to get oil lines and different piping so the cost will even out.

Id personally suggest buying some tuning software and going bigger than a 16g. I went that route at one point in time and the power gets old fast. Get a 50 trim and afc atleast.

If he says he doesn't want to go that route we shouldn't suggest him go that route. BTW I rather a 16g over a "50 trim" any day.

I agree a T28 will fit the easiest but I have a couple issues with it.

I never liked the amount of top end power they provide. Always thought the 16g platform was an over all better power turbo.

They are very expensive. A good T25 will run around 800 dollars when you can get a small 16g in the 400's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back