The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Headrest speakers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nek

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So Ive been searching around the site and dsmtuners doesnt seem talk about the topic very much (maybe for obvious reasons). Now I got the idea from the "who is dr. turbo" thread but Im sure hes not the first to do it in a dsm.
Im interested in doing this mod, removing the rear speakers and installing either a 6.5 in each seat or dual smaller speakers. What do you guys know about it? :hmm:

Edit: I run a few 6x9's (4-way) in enclosures that sit in each back seat, with a small 300 watt amp powering them. Sounds wonderful. My apologies for my previous comment. Good luck.

Last edited:
The Pontiac Fiero GT had speakers built in the headrests from the factory as an option.

Yeah, Ive been searching yahoo abit. Apparently fiero's, some mazda's and I guess Ferrari came with the option.

Also, I think "Dr. Turbo" isn't a mentionable person here. That will help you NONE!

As for the whole Dr. Turbo thing, its just the name of the thread, nothing more.

After reading around online, others have mentioned that its a bad idea but the people that have completed it have claimed superb results.
I have a decently loud turbo back and I like the idea of being able to clearly hear my music without worrying about blowing my speakers (Im sure a few can relate).
Thanks for the input so far.

I completly forgot that certain miatas came with them. I think it was the special edition turbo ones. but not positive. I wonder if you could just put in the headrest from one of them?

I completly forgot that certain miatas came with them. I think it was the special edition turbo ones. but not positive. I wonder if you could just put in the headrest from one of them?

I think (not 100% sure) that they use two speakers which would balance the left and right stereo sound. I think its dual 3" speakers. I think the idea is pretty bad ass IMO and it should be pretty easy to do. After looking around online, some people brought up that a different type of speaker may be required because its near speaker hearing vs door speakers that are 1-2 ft away. Also I dont know how well the foam would hold the sound, maybe a small speaker box would be considered? I dont know enough about speaker systems to answer these questions though.

It's a waste of time and money...... <<< Is what people would think. I'm meaning no offense, but you will not get help for that here. It's not a personal thing, it's just that 95% or more are here for performance/maintanance......Sorry, I did "bump" your thread, and maybe someone will chime in. But most won't, period. It is the way it is.

Also, I think "Dr. Turbo" isn't a mentionable person here. That will help you NONE!

If you didn't notice when you posted your ignorat comment, you are in the APPEARENCE/INTERIOR/EXTERIOR forum. Not everyone is power hungry, some just love clean ass rides with great sound equipment. That is like ripping on a someone for wanting subs in their car, because it adds weight.

As for my recommendation, I would say putting two tweeters would be alot easier and would probably hold alot better than a 6.5. Plus some of those tweeters do not put out as much sound making that a good thing since you are considering putting them in your headrest. If you know your wiring than it should be a relatively simple project, the only difficult part is running and hiding the wires. Another suggestion, is to keep your rear speakers and just add a couple more. This will enhance your treble and still maintain your bass.

I agree, in my opinion, theback speakers are what put out the major sound in the whole system, I just wasnt sure if i had to remove speakers to add them (stock amp, deck)
The thing about tweeters that worries me (correct me if Im wrong) is they are responsible for the treble of the system and put little to no bass out. To fix this problem I was thinking about doing this mod.

Trust me tweeters would be perfect for the job. If you want to feel the deep tone of the bass get a sub. I got a 12" Eclipse sub with 1000Wat Amp that did the job great.

I agree, in my opinion, theback speakers are what put out the major sound in the whole system

It might be your opinion, but that's actually false. The rear speakers in our cars do jack. And even if you upgrade them, it won't make a world of difference. If you want bass, you'll want to install a sub.

A good setup for our car would be a nice set of components up front, and cheap to mid-range set of speakers for the back and then a sub.

It might be your opinion, but that's actually false. The rear speakers in our cars do jack.
A good setup for our car would be a nice set of components up front, and cheap to mid-range set of speakers for the back and then a sub.

Yeah, I read around the site and Ive seen them say that the rear speakers are crap and the front speakers deliver all the sound but when sitting in my drivers seat, then moving to my rear seat, the music just sounds so much better like the system bangs!

Trust me tweeters would be perfect for the job. If you want to feel the deep tone of the bass get a sub. I got a 12" Eclipse sub with 1000Wat Amp that did the job great.
:hmm: Thanks for the input

If I was gonna get a sub, what else would I need to run 2 front tweeters, 2 front speakers, 4 seat tweeters, 2 rear speakers, and 1 ~12 in sub. Would 1 amp be able to handle it with out problems and would I be able to control the sound to my likings? Might as well grab a new deck while Im at it huh? The dash tweeters might not even be needed if I was to do the head rest mod.

Yeah, I read around the site and Ive seen them say that the rear speakers are crap and the front speakers deliver all the sound but when sitting in my drivers seat, then moving to my rear seat, the music just sounds so much better like the system bangs!

Well, that's probably because you're only a few inches, if that, from that rear speaker :p

If I was gonna get a sub, what else would I need to run 2 front tweeters, 2 front speakers, 4 seat tweeters, 2 rear speakers, and 1 ~12 in sub. Would 1 amp be able to handle it with out problems and would I be able to control the sound to my likings? Might as well grab a new deck while Im at it huh? The dash tweeters might not even be needed if I was to do the head rest mod.

I don't think I would run everything off of one amp, unless you want to buy one huge one. I think you'd probably need 3 amps to do that, but might be able to get away with 2.

:aha: Eureka!! That means headrest speakers will own as well :D. Closer speakers gotta mean better :)

If you're looking for "in your face" sound, then ya, they'll own. Personally, having speakers that close to me while driving would be annoying. I'd have to really mess with the settings to get it to sound good, as well as allow me to properly hear my surroundings or other people in the car.

Using a tweeter might also be annoying as you'd have just the highs at your ears - no mids or lows. And if you don't have that balanced right (or don't have any bass at all), it wouldn't sound right.

I think a good set of speakers installed in the normal spots would prove to be great sound. But that's just my opinion.

I don't think I would run everything off of one amp, unless you want to buy one huge one. I think you'd probably need 3 amps to do that, but might be able to get away with 2.

If you're looking for "in your face" sound, then ya, they'll own. Personally, having speakers that close to me while driving would be annoying. I'd have to really mess with the settings to get it to sound good, as well as allow me to properly hear my surroundings or other people in the car.

Using a tweeter might also be annoying as you'd have just the highs at your ears - no mids or lows. And if you don't have that balanced right (or don't have any bass at all), it wouldn't sound right.

I think a good set of speakers installed in the normal spots would prove to be great sound. But that's just my opinion.

I would agree, my sound system sounded great with alpine speakers in the doors and rear seat speakers. The front window speakers were disconnected when I bought the car, but there were infinity tweeters in the door panal where the driver side and passanger side mirrors are. I also had a 12" eclipse sub like I stated before.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back