The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Speakers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of money are you looking to spend? Are you just looking for basic replacements to use with the factory head unit and no external amplifier or are you looking for some quality speakers that you plan to give adequate power to?

I've only used Infinity and Boston Acoustic in my car speakers. Infinity's reference lineup is awesome. I have also heard great things about Polk, kinda pricey though.

Well, i got a couple amps, i'm just looking for some adequate speakers that will be loud and that i could jam to. Pricing isn't really a problem at the moment. Im looking into JL audio speakers. Anyone heard anything good about there actual speakers, not there subs.

I love my infinity Kappa series. 60.9cs in the front and I can't remember what 6x9's in the back. I've got them amped off two cheapo 200x2 amps and they sound incredible! I had 2 12" L7's in the trunk on a 1000watt mono amp cranked and I could still hear the music clear over the overpowering bass.

They're kind of pricey though.

I love my infinity Kappa series. 60.9cs in the front and I can't remember what 6x9's in the back. I've got them amped off two cheapo 200x2 amps and they sound incredible! I had 2 12" L7's in the trunk on a 1000watt mono amp cranked and I could still hear the music clear over the overpowering bass.

They're kind of pricey though.

Pricing without the subs?:thumb:

jenson 3 way 6x9s have surprising mids-lows and decent highs, running off the deck, no amp i would of sworn the car had more bass then one of those POS OEM(like nissan's fosgate underseat setup) subs puts out.

I've ran nothing but Rockford Fosgate 3-ways for mids for every one of my cars for the past 11 years. I just bought all new Rockfords for my Talon, and spent around $100 shipped for both sets. eBay FTW.

I'd recommend double checking the size first though. My Eclipse came with 6.5" in the front and 6x9's in the rear. But my Talon came with 5.25" in the front and 6.5" in the rear. It probably had something to do with one car having the Infinity Gold set-up and the other not.

Pioneer, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, or Polk Audio. I have run these brands over the years. Any pricing I give you will not be current though. I picked up my Fosgates (3-way door speakers) about 2 years ago for ~ 300$ for the lot. Thats 2 6.5" Speakers and 2 6x9 speakers. The are 300 Watt Peak, 80 watt RMS.

With the 2g eclipse stock Amp powering them via the Metra Harness they sound very nice. Not much base because if you turn it up, they distort. Likely because they are a 3 way speaker.

If you pick the Polk Audios you can get a very nice set with the component Tweets for 180$ a set(of course this was 2 years ago prices fluctuate).

Just don't get the bottom of the line speakers from walmart/best buy/circuit city. The all (maybe not polk) make cheap ass speakers for tightwads. Those generally sound like ass.

I would suggest finding a true car audio store, or a radio shack stereo center. You might be able to find a good deal at best buy if you weight until some of the higher end stuff goes on sale.

Edit:

Even on the cars that had the retarded smaller speakers it is Quite easy to mod the speaker buckets to fit the right size speakers.

I've personally always been a fan of the Alpine Type R's, but the shop I work for sells Rockfords, JL, Kenwood, and we're phasing out Boston Acoustics (all around the $100-$175 range), our top of the line speakers run about $400 a pair and are Hybrid Audio Technologies. When it comes to sound, the sky is almost the limit. Everyone has preferred brands, but I would personally stay away from anything BOSS, or Audiopipe. A lot of the cheaper speakers are equal or worse sound quality as the stock sound. If that's what you're aiming for, then by all means buy. The pricier speakers will usually perform better with clean signal than the cheaper speakers will with the same signal, but as long as you don't over power them with a 'dirty' signal, they'll hold up just fine. If you're just looking for something to listen to while driving, then as long as you're happy with the sound, that's all that matters!:thumb:

I've got JL TR650-CXi 6.5's in the front doors. No rear speakers yet. I did have 2 MTX Roadmasters on the back seat, box was too big for the trunk but they have been removed and itt's just the dash and doors

run rockfords, this guy steve meade on youtube runs nothing but rf's throughout his Tahoe, besides his own custom made subs. the rf's will be the best speakers you can get for the price, hope it helps

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back