The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Head and block maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbiter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2008
Irun, Europe
Bonjour a tous!

Hi everyone,

I have removed the engine from the car as I wanted to clean it properly and do a full gasket work.
It has been a laborious task about removing all the dirt from the block, it was running for years with a leaking top gasket (that rubber black one on the top case).

I have a full "Ajusa" Gasket set, and for the moment I miss some parts.
Parts for this car, are really expensive in Europe, so I plan buying from rockauto, as it has fairly good price for shipping to europe.

I need advice about part numbers.
My car has a noise about lifters, there was a replacement about a newer engine lifters, I think it was from a year 2000 car, and those lifters were compatible with my 4g63 and were less pronce to noise, am I right?

Also, when lifting engine, an oil pressure bulb broke of the oil pressure filter assenbly, and I am unable to remove the brass fitting with is left inside, is there an afordable replacement for MD157670 ?

And lastly, are these cheaps front control arms from ultra power brand worth it for a OEM replacement?

Thank you in advance

There are 3 revisions to the lifters

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Do you have a picture of what broke off?

You can buy control arm bushings and they're not that expensive. I'm not sure how difficult they are on 2g.

Dont buy cheap control arms, your life depends on them and they are already prone to failure on a 2g, the lifters that you speak of are known as 3g lifters, this doesnt mean that they are from a 3g eclipse, it means that they are the third revision of lifters for the 4g63, personally I like the first generation lifters if you clean them out really good and bleed them they work just fine, they collapse and rattle because of dirt trapped in them, not necessarily wear. As for the broken off oil pressure sending unit, it should easily come out with a drill bit and an easy out extractor and some heat from a propane torch.

That broken sensor MAY even come out with just an extractor if it is and should be hollow.
Good luck, be careful not to break the oil filter housing itself.

in the filter housing, I placed there a thread adapter for oil presure sender unit. I have that brass adapter broke inside, and I tried to removed but with every hit the brass chips out.

My arms were good, but i had to use a fork to pull them down and there were damaged, at or least rubber was.
Dealer prices are higher in europe than are in the States. the brands that you can find here are quite diferent thant the ones in the States.
I found locally "Lemforder" control arms, for 440€ Each. As for ball joints, I found several of them for 15€ wich is a good price I think, but none have a grass fill nozzle.
Where would you but these parts, including 3g lifters?

are these cheaps front control arms from ultra power brand worth it for a OEM replacement?

Thank you in advance
If you are talking about the ULTRA-POWER 520837/520838 for 1g, you should avoid to purchase them. I ordered them many years ago and those didn't fit with 1g gsx. The dimension where the green circle was different. Like an inch longer than OEM, so you would need to cut and re-weld to use it.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the ULTRA-POWER 520837/520838 for 1g, you should avoid to purchase them. I ordered them many years ago and those didn't fit with 1g gsx. The dimension where the green circle was different. Like an inch longer than OEM, so you would need to cut and re-weld to use it.
I agree with no cheap parts. I ran into this also years ago but it wasn't a bad part. The control arm I removed was bent as was the subframe. It appeared the part was bad but it wasn't. Manufacturers wouldn't get far if their stuff was that bad. Just a thought.

I found the same fault as DSMPT with a set of Mevotech control arms That I purchased, a little too short, but crucially so. Did you damage the ball joints, or just the boots? Both can be replaced, although just the boots are cheaper and easier. The joints requires a hydraulic shop press, I believe. A fork separator will damage the boots nearly every time. The correct factory tool, or similar, should not.

I am going to have some time week, i will check de arms.
It's not all about going cheap. My daily driver is a Volkswagen passat, and you can find non original parts that are original. Mapco and Trw have been suppliers of suspension components in the 90s for Volkswagen Audi group, and so on.
As the eclipse was made in the states, just trying to figure out these things

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back