The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Have power to starter but car will not CRANK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSX19

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2012
Lake Jackson, Texas
I spent all last night trying to figure this out. Maybe a new set of ears and minds can help.

I have 1995 GSX it will run but only if it is push started. If you turn the key forward you can hear the relay kick in the center console and the starter gear come out and hit the flywheel but thats it. I tried buying a new starter thinking that was it, but same issue. There is power to the relay, ignition switch and starter. I used a multi-meter and checked all leads. The switch on the clutch pedal is looped so you can start it without the clutch in.

I am just out of ideas and exhausted, the car runs great though if you push start it. I just dont want to get a push everytime I want to drive. Any help or ideas will be appreciated GREATLY!!!

So it's not the battery? Your accessories work? There are only a few things it could be if the car is running as it should.

The relay itself?

Relay is good and battery shows 12 volts. All my windows, a/c, sunroof all work with the key forward. I am stumped.

If the battery shows 12 volts then it has the CCA power it needs right? So I do not understand why the starter wont turn the car over. Very strange I have never seen anything like this.

So if there isn't any opens or shorts all the way up to the starter, That only leaves something with the starter itself like bad contact points, bad starter (probably not if its new but still a possibility). You can test a starter on a bench with a 12v battery with a little bit of rigging.

Batteries can show 12 volts and have 0% charge. Get the battery load tested

Ok man I will do that for sure. I have a question on that though, we hooked up a battery starter to it and juiced it! Still nothing...so if the battery is DEAD then that wont matter right?

Check your starter ground, also do a volt drop across the main feed, ground, and starter solenoid feed.

I have fixed the issue! It was the Ignition Relay! All I did is bypass this relay and put a push button (because race car) in. I ran a hot line off the battery to one side and another hot off the switch on the starter (little black cable) to the other side. Works like a champ, and I can start it without putting in the clutch each time. Thanks for all the help guys!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back