The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

car will not start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97dark_angel

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
new paltz, New_York
:cry: ok so this is what's going on, few days ago i was driving and the car started to sputter. Not that bad but ne-ways the next

morning when i went to drive it to work the sputtering got worse, to the point were i would step on the gas and it would just buck

like a bad miss fire. I got it to my garage and let it sit for a day. To day it started up and right away it did the same thing, so i

pulled the plugs and wires and the plugs were burnt black, but only the first and 3rd (from left to right). The 2nd and 4th look

like they have been dry-firing not like the other 2. I changed the oil and the oil seem to smell like it had a lot of gas and also

before i pulled everything out, it was running so rich that all you could smell was gas. The oil was also black but it was do for an

oil change, any ways i put everything back together and now the car will NOT start. It terns over and sounds like it wants to

start but it wont and when it try's to, it sputters out black smoke. Ive thought it was the turbo but there is no play a lil-bit of oil

but nothing that made me say wow. So im stuck i dont know what to do, oh also i checked and there is spark on each wire. Im

running e3 plugs, bosh wires, k&n air filter but stock turbo and boost no big mods. Please give me ideas i cant figure it out and

also it is not giving me codes so ????????????????????:aha::aha::notgood:

Last edited:
Start by editing your post to make it more readable (actual sentences, caps, punctuation, paragraphs, etc.). Otherwise, you're not going to find many people with the patience to decipher it and offer advice.

As for the car, start with a compression test. It sounds like you have some serious ring issues, based on what I could get from your post.

Thats got to be the biggest run-on sentence ever.

Are the injectors stock? If compression checks out ok, I would look at the fuel setup sound like rings but you could be running rich.

Also did you do anything right before the car started acting up?

ok so i just did the comparison test and i got from lest to right (right being the closes to to cams)

#1 125ish psi
#2 140ish psi
#3 135ish psi
#4 145ish psi

the only compression tester that i could get ahold of was kind off hard to read it went by 5 intervals

what would be the next step

anyone know whats next

Do a leak-down test. Your compression results back up your plug conditions, and point to some worn rings assuming the results are accurate. Do a wet test on those cylinders as well and see if the compression comes up a bit.

It's probably a combination of things...engine condition, ignition issue, a change in weather, and/or the tune going south on you. Either way... your compression numbers are low, especially #1 which is below the service limit. (And #3 is damn close as well).

I also agree with GSXSixteenG... get some properly gapped NGK's in there. A new set of NGK plug wires probably wouldn't hurt either, if they haven't been changed in a while.

Oil that smells like fuel usually means you are getting blow by which is cause by bad piston rings. Are you getting a CEL light at all?? I have had my talon detect a random cylinder misfire and shut down to 3 cylinders. The plugs that you said were "dry firing" what color were they?

pull the plugs and put a few drops of oil down in the cylinders to "wet" the rings ( this helps them seal better) crank the car over a few times to distriubute the oil and then do your compression test.

Last edited:
ok thanks ill try a wet test but first im going to read that form.the plugs were dark brown and withish on the tip with no residue the other ones were black with residue that hasn't gotten of my hands.

so now if it is a bad piston ring what do i do, replace the engine or can i fix it? or better yet what is my cheapest way? thanks for all the help by the way

oh yeah also the car wont start so im doing the test cold what big off a difference would that make

With those compression numbers the car should at least be running and driving. He has better compression than I do and im still driving my car every day. My engine has so much blow by the dip stick is getting pushed up. If you are getting spark id start looking at maybe a fuel issue. Rent a noid light set from auto zone and check to make sure your injectors are all firing. And check to make sure you dont have a clogged fuel filter. Not saying that its not compression just you should still at least be running and running fine with maybe some power loss. Might have some leaking injectors.

:cry: ok so this is what's going on, few days ago i was driving and the car started to sputter. Not that bad but ne-ways the next

morning when i went to drive it to work the sputtering got worse, to the point were i would step on the gas and it would just buck

like a bad miss fire. I got it to my garage and let it sit for a day. To day it started up and right away it did the same thing, so i

pulled the plugs and wires and the plugs were burnt black, but only the first and 3rd (from left to right). The 2nd and 4th look

like they have been dry-firing not like the other 2. I changed the oil and the oil seem to smell like it had a lot of gas and also

before i pulled everything out, it was running so rich that all you could smell was gas. The oil was also black but it was do for an

oil change, any ways i put everything back together and now the car will NOT start. It terns over and sounds like it wants to

start but it wont and when it try's to, it sputters out black smoke. Ive thought it was the turbo but there is no play a lil-bit of oil

but nothing that made me say wow. So im stuck i dont know what to do, oh also i checked and there is spark on each wire. Im

running e3 plugs, bosh wires, k&n air filter but stock turbo and boost no big mods. Please give me ideas i cant figure it out and

also it is not giving me codes so ????????????????????:aha::aha::notgood:

Sounds to me like your running very rich, check all of your intercooler lines, if one popped off this can happen. Also check your connection at the MAF.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back