The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G GSX Rear Ball Joints

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
I have a suspicion that one of my ball joints on the driver side rear is bad. I do hear a noise that sounds like a loose item even when the car rolls straight forward at parking lot speeds. No vibrations in the steering wheel, or rough noises associated with a wheel bearing, but rather the loose/wobble type noise. In the event it is a ball joint, is there anywhere online I can order these from? I haven't seen any on ExtremePSI's site or even RockAuto. Part numbers would be great too. Thanks.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe the ball joint is purchased with the lower arm. The part number for the lower arm is MR162573 for the drivers side rear for awd models. The passenger rear is discontinued. (I believe). STM sold the arm for around 50 when I did mine. Good luck with the build.

Are these what you were looking for?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I ordered a pair for the front control arms, supposedly they are the same. I haven't changed them out, but it does appear that it is the right size. I'll probably have them in sometime in the following week here, I can let you know if they fit.
Part #
MOOG K90264

One thing you might check too is wheel bearings... when I used to autocross I'd check them by putting my foot on the top of the tire and shoving on it with all my weight (think of the Captain Morgan commercial). If there was any play it's likely a wheel bearing, assuming of course that your lug nuts are tight. One of the first things I had to change on my 2g when I got it was wheel bearings.

The upper front BJs are definitely the same as the rear lowers. I think moogs (non adjustable obviously) are $16.32 from Rock (suspension-ball joints LOL). You can replace the BJs without even removing the arms. Rent a BJ press from your local advance auto. You should also invest in a BJ separator ($20), not a pickle fork. The easiest way to pop them loose without destroying them so you can thoroughly check the stud. Put the new ones in the freezer ahead if time.
Altgough I've had those rear BJs completely shot but they made no noise whatsoever. And after reading your original post it wouldn't be the BJs anyway if you hear a rotational noise. Check for debris or nail in your tire or caliper/rotor debris/sticking, check wheel hub as mentioned.
I assume the first thing you checked was the CV joint/boots? The boots tear and the joint dries out.

Last edited:
Well I've had all 4 brake asssemblies apart since I've replaced all pads and rotors. Tires are good. I've heard this noise since I bought the car and now even have the wheels and tires frok my crushed GS on it for winter. Noise is still there. BJ boots looked ok, but obviously aged. Not really a rotational noise, but rather a wobble type noise only while moving. Wheel bearings and BJs both passed the wheel wiggle test. But that alone doesn't keep me from wanting to replace the bearings since the car is aging and since it sat for so long.

You didnt answer my question. Did you check the CV joint? The CV joint boot? Don't forget the GSX has rear axles LOL only other thing I can think of is make sure the trailing arm is in good shape
Well I've had all 4 brake asssemblies apart since I've replaced all pads and rotors. Tires are good. I've heard this noise since I bought the car and now even have the wheels and tires frok my crushed GS on it for winter. Noise is still there. BJ boots looked ok, but obviously aged. Not really a rotational noise, but rather a wobble type noise only while moving. Wheel bearings and BJs both passed the wheel wiggle test. But that alone doesn't keep me from wanting to replace the bearings since the car is aging and since it sat for so long.

I'm aware I have rear axles, the main reason I bought this car ;) I didn't realize you said CV boot, I sae it as BJ boot for some reason. It's too early. But no, I haven't checked that boot, so I will be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back