The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spyder GST ECU in a Spyder GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97spyder00

Probationary Member
Aug 5, 2022
Abbotsford, BC_Canada
Hi everyone,
Recently I’ve been preparing for turbocharging my 4g64 spyder. I’ve begun collecting parts and have so far got my hands on: 450cc injectors, resistor pack, 190 Walbro pump, 96 gst ecu, and a knock sensor.

Looking at the pinouts I see very close similarities +/- sensors here and there, my question is what sensors would I have to add to the setup?

If anyone has diagrams or tutorials on wiring the knock sensor, or even the resistor pack, that would be greatly appreciated.

In search of 4g64 users using a turbo ecu, the only users I have come across date back to early 2000’s

Thank you in advance—

I’ve never done anything like this with a 2g NT Spyder, however I have done similar with my 1g that was originally a non turbo car and other 1g non turbo cars. I can tell you the knock sensor is real easy and straight forward.

You need to go to the junkyard or wherever you can get your hands on one and clip the knock sensor pigtail off of a factory turbo 2g or another Mitsubishi or Chrysler product that utilizes the same knock sensor pigtail (which ones I could not tell you, I know Evo’s utilize the same connector so if something like a 3g Eclipse or 2000+ Galant or 2000’s Dodge Stratus coupe use a knock sensor they likely use the same connector as well, but again you’ll have to research that one).

There will be 2 wires going to that connector, one is a signal wire and one is a ground. The signal wire you’ll run wire from that connector to the knock sensor pin location where your harness plugs into the ECU, the ground you can run a wire and ground it wherever there’s a good spot for a ground in the engine bay or under the dash, that’s it.

The resistor pack is fairly straight forward as well, search “resistor pack wiring” on here and you’ll find an old write up that shows you how to do it for a 1g NT, will be exactly the same for a 2g NT Spyder as both 1g’s and 2g’s utilize the same resistor pack and they both work on the exact same principal, again real straight forward.

Other than that I couldn’t tell you what’s different on a 2g NT Spyder and it’s turbo counterpart wiring wise as I’ve never owned one or tore deep into one. If the NT Spyder doesn’t utilize a “maf signal reset” then you’ll have to add that wire as well unless you’re going straight to speed density (speed density doesn’t utilize that pin given that it doesn't have a MAF). Hopefully that’s some kind of help.

I’ve never done anything like this with a 2g nt spyder, however I have done similar with my 1g that was originally a non turbo car and other 1g non turbo cars.

Thank you, your write up is very helpful and its nice to get some feedback.

Would you happen to know what type of pins the ecu pigtails use? Are they easy to come across?

Thank you, your write up is very helpful and its nice to get some feedback. Would you happen to know what type of pins the ecu pigtails use? Are they easy to come across?
All I do for spares is cut them off a junk harness I have. Other Mitsubishi and Chrysler products are likely the same. De pin a random wire from the donor, cut it off with some excess, plug it into its proper pin and run wire to it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back