The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Grinding into second?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1G/TS-ituner

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2003
North Plainfield, New_Jersey
gears 1, 3, 4, 5, and R are FINE but it grinds in second after i let off the clutch, untill i ####ing jam it in from frustration and rage and it only goes in at low speeds. i mean LOW LOW speeds of like less than 15 MPH. BUT just recently it's having trouble going into 1st from a stop i have to like jam it in 1st same as 2nd it ONLY grinds when i let off the clutch so WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM someone tell me :confused:

You blew out your synchro first to second. The same thing has happend to me on 3 different transmissions. I'm getting one built by TRE.

well a friend of mine who i used to work with knows just about everything about these cars, having one his self, and owned a bunch before. he says he can rebuild it for a fair price, but is there any places that make stronger internals for a rebuild???

also how many miles do you have to change your clutch??? when i bought it the guy said it was replaced 6k ago, and i've put about another 1000 or more into the car. so would the clutch need to be replaced because of the grinding?>????

Originally posted by 1G/TS-ituner
also how many miles do you have to change your clutch??? when i bought it the guy said it was replaced 6k ago, and i've put about another 1000 or more into the car. so would the clutch need to be replaced because of the grinding?>????
Grinding in the trans wouldn't have anything to do with replacing the clutch in this case. What you want to do is find out what kind of clutch it is and find out how long its suppose to last and how hard its been beaten on. If you plan on upgrading power in the engine department you will need a stronger clutch over stock. I went with the ACT 2600. Its great.

if it was the clutch, you would notice it slipping before it got to be as bad as you are describing. it sounds like your synchros. id get your tranny rebuilt... there is no way around it really.

heh your kill list is nice, my friend jess has a 04 Grand-am GT the one with the 3.4 ram air in it, i helped her put a straight through muffler on it and a custom made highflow intake and it's quick but all i have are the free mods, home depot intake, and a straight through muffler (not even a catback) and i killed her from a stop, and still whiped her from a roll. they are peppy but they run low 16's stock. you would think anything with 3 or more liters would have power but there crappy ass OHV design sucks the big one. :thumbdown

You cant just put a specific time or mile count on how long a clutch will last. It all depends on how you drive and how often you drive. If you are in stop and go traffic all the time it will last alot less then of you drive on the freeway all the time. If you go to the track then it will last even less.

The grinding is your tranny itself dying. Like the others have said your clutch will slip before it is the casue of your grinding.

Michael
:laser: :talon:

heh your kill list is nice, my friend jess has a 04 Grand-am GT the one with the 3.4 ram air in it, i helped her put a straight through muffler on it and a custom made highflow intake and it's quick but all i have are the free mods, home depot intake, and a straight through muffler (not even a catback) and i killed her from a stop, and still whiped her from a roll. they are peppy but they run low 16's stock. you would think anything with 3 or more liters would have power but there crappy ass OHV design sucks the big one. :thumbdown

thanks for the compliment on the kill list, you are the first to ever say anything good about it. most people hate it.:rolleyes:

Hey steve just so you know Jess's grand am isnt a 04. its probably an 02 or 03. darels grand prix gtp is an 04. enless pontiac did a body swap half way thru the end of 03 but i doubt it.

hey tim want me to punch up her vin#??? or better yet read her drivers manual that came with it, OR read her factory inspection sticker is says 2004, the 04 GT's came with a factory fiberglass ram air (fake) hood even the 03's didn't get that option. they came out the same time the 04 GP's did OMG

gears 1, 3, 4, 5, and R are FINE but it grinds in second after i let off the clutch, untill i ####ing jam it in from frustration and rage and it only goes in at low speeds. i mean LOW LOW speeds of like less than 15 MPH. BUT just recently it's having trouble going into 1st from a stop i have to like jam it in 1st same as 2nd it ONLY grinds when i let off the clutch so WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM someone tell me :confused:

Oh man that ****ing sucks. My damn tranny just died on me and was doing the SAME thing. Heres whats most likely going to happen next. Pretty soon its going to grind into 2nd everytime no matter what then one time your going to be making a left or right turn and your going to shift into 2nd and your engine is just going to rev really high and your gonna be like ****!!! Yes, 2nd gear is going to completely die. Then you might find your self driving around without a 2nd gear just reving it up and skipping over 2nd going to 3rd. After about 2-3 weeks of that then your going to be making another turn and all your gears but 1st are gonna die. And like me your going to find your self long some road trying to find out what happened. I had to drive home at 20 MPH and it sucked. Dude, in short terms... Your tranny is close to death! Start saving!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back