The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Grinding when I down shift into second!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990talon

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2006
Federal Way, Washington
Ok just as the title says when I down shift into second it will grind. It will still go in and it only does it for a second. I just replaced the clutch have about 300 miles on it. It just started yesterday It works fine in all other gears. also at slow speeds it will down shift into second fine. Any help would be apreiciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Another quick question, then. If it were the syncro, would the grinding and other symptoms be consistent or off and on?

Ultimatedsm said:
Check if there is any kind of air in the system. Bleed the slave again a few times and try shifting again. Check your freeplay as well and check if it is within specs. Too much freeplay can grind gears or too little will burn out Throw out bearings. You can try changing the fluid to BG Syncro Shift II which has helped many people already.

I am just wondering, what kind of clutch did you install?
That was the problem for me was the freeplay. Except mine was a lot worse I couldn't even put it in first gear sometimes. Its the top bolt connected to the metal rod that goes through you firewall. I believe its a size 10 or 11 wrench.

Good luck,
Bryan

I was having the same problem with the grinding on the 3-2 downshift. at the time i had just put the motor back in after a rebuild. so i t was the same clutch, flywheel fluid everything from before i took the motor out. so bein a honda guy for years we had been religious about GM Synchromesh, so i tried it. immediatley after putting in the GM. the 3-2 downshift grind was gone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back