The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Grinding when I down shift into second!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990talon

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 3, 2006
Federal Way, Washington
Ok just as the title says when I down shift into second it will grind. It will still go in and it only does it for a second. I just replaced the clutch have about 300 miles on it. It just started yesterday It works fine in all other gears. also at slow speeds it will down shift into second fine. Any help would be apreiciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Check if there is any kind of air in the system. Bleed the slave again a few times and try shifting again. Check your freeplay as well and check if it is within specs. Too much freeplay can grind gears or too little will burn out Throw out bearings. You can try changing the fluid to BG Syncro Shift II which has helped many people already.

I am just wondering, what kind of clutch did you install?

Answer: Step 1 - Pull dsm into garage
Step 2- Take off radiator cap
Step 3- Pull out dsm
Step 4- Pull in another dsm
Step 5- Put old cap on new dsm
Step 6- Continue having same problems everyone else has :beatentodeath:
LOLoLOL Had to do it.;)

also what is free play? and is there anywhere besides online to get the BG Syncro Shift II all the parts stores tell me they dont carry that and never herd of it.

crazyzx9rguy, if thats all your going to post, dont.
Now on to the question at hand. Does it only do it down shifting? or just shifting into 2nd? My 2nd gear synchro went...or is going on my 92 and when I go 1-2 at 2700-4300rpm it grinds, sounds like I just hit a besset hound:p. What kind of clutch did you instal? ACT? OE replacement? Clutchmasters? If it was anything other then an OE replacement did you have the fly stepped? For ACT and centerforce clutchs your fly should have a step of .609".
EDIT: Correct me if I am wrong but free play with a clutch would be if it is not tight enough or too tight, pretty much anything thats not the happy medium.
Dustin

Ok well that wouldnt be a problem then. does it grind going from 1-2 or just 3-2?

Dustin

Freeplay is the space between your throw out bearing to your clutch housing diaphragm. In other words, when you press your clutch down, when do you feel the pressure. Measure that and look into a factory manual or Haynes etc. To find out how to set it to factory specs.

Ultimatedsm, thats what I was thinking, but didnt want to get into it just incase it wasn't correct.

Dustin

1990talon said:
Also only down shifting into second. I can upshift fine.
Try BG synchro mesh, its only a band aid fix, but it will give you an idea if its internally in the tranny, or something due to the clutch/instal that you just had done, or did yourself.

Dustin

I dont know if this makes a differance but it didnt do it when I put the clutch in only started yesterday.

Well, when you start wearing your clutch in, your freeplay decreases because the diaghragm starts to come closer and closer to your throw out bearing. Our clutch system don't adjust themselves, many people assume that they do because its hydraulic. Everytime you change your clutch, you have to check and fix your freeplay again. You can mask the problem by putting in a longer slave rod that connects to your clutch fork in the bell housing, but why mask the problem when you can fix it by adjusting your freeplay right?

Looks like you have the solution to your problem, try what ultimatedsm said, and give us a follow up post on if that fixed it, made it worse, or stayed the same.

Dustin

Sound good I will go a head and look it up in my haynes when I get home and tell you guys what I come up with.

Thanks,
Brandon

Not sure if ti will help but always a good thing to check for starter,

I would suggest that you check proper shift cable adjustment.
Pull the consone apart to get to the shifter, you will see 2 cables one on the left (side to side) and one to the right (front to back).You will want to adjust the left one.Put the trans in neutal. Take the cotter pin out and takethe washer off then line up the hole in the cable to the pin on the shift arm. Should be directley in line with the pin. Adjust the cable so it slide on the pin easily. You should not have to move the shifter,or cable to get it back on. Front to back it the same ### only put trans in 4th to adjust.
*Note the bushing in the cable has a flat side to it plastic over the cable end other side is just the cable end(metal) plastic side goes down, on front to back it goes out , closest to the cotter pin. Hope that helps post and questions if need be.

I've done some searching for this and found some partial answers, but I think that I may need some supplementary information.

Sometimes, when I go to shift into second gear, it makes a grinding noise and the car does not go into gear. Most of the time, if I pull the car into gear and wait a second, it engages just fine -- you can feel the shifter settle into the second position, but you have to be slow and deliberate with it.

It does not do this every time, but it has been happening more often (almost everytime I shift to second).

Fourth gear and reverse both engage fine. I really don't think it's a transmission problem, just something to do with the shifter assembly.

The fellow I bought the car from said something about there being a problem with the linkage that he never got around to fixing, and, according to him, he had some extra linkage sitting around that can be cut and welded into place? Keep in mind, I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined, so I dunno if he's correct or not.

A couple of questions, also. If the linkage is the problem, would 4th and reverse work correctly? And maybe I'm just shooting in the dark here, but could there be an issue with the 2nd gear syncro?

Thanks.

I would check the shifter linkages and their alignment first, that's the easiest (and cheapest) thing to check. There are two linkages, so one could be fine but the other one misaligned.

The 2nd gear synchro is often the first to go on a transmission, so it can be going bad while 4th and reverse work fine. Also if the clutch isn't disengaging completely it can make it harder to shift into gear.

If it was my synchro wouldn't it be hard to up shift to also could my fluid be low I am at work thats why I havent checked any thing yet you guys see how hard I work. But I thought synchro was on up and down shift.

not necessarily, syncros syncronize the speed of the gear you are selecting via input from the shift fork, to the input shaft(crank speed). when you are upshifting, your input shaft slows down when you let off the throttle , but your trans is still spinning at about the same speed as it was when you let off clutch. So, your syncros dont have much work to do when upshifting properly.

Well my second gear syncro is bad as well. If I upshift from 1st to 2nd above 5500rpm it will grind. Any downshift from 3rd to 2nd will grind, so usually I use my 3rd gear to slow down instead of second. If I do have to go into second (to go around a corner, or roll up to sombody when the light just changed to green) I simply pop it into first and then put it into second. Though if I'm going to fast it will not like moving into first, in this case I double clutch it. I don't actually release the clutch into first though I just hold it down and bump it up then move into second.

Check everything you can, and if the previous owner did something funky with the shift linkages buy brand new ones. This will make a huge difference, I know because I had to do it to mine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back