The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Good news is, my car is LOUD. Bad news is, I need a new manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
So my header cracked a few days ago. Last night it got really bad and really loud. Sounds like an open dump.

It's an ebay header that was on the car when I bought it so I knew it was only a matter of time before it cracked.

Now, there is a lot of smoke coming out of it too. Like, A LOT. My turbo is junk (incredible shaft play) but have a 14b that just arrived yesterday.

My question is, will the turbo being blown cause the smoke out of the manifold? I am not sure if the turbo can affect this or if the smoke would be coming from the engine.

Blue smoke is burned oil. It is possible your turbo has blown seals. If its smoking I the engine bay you you probably have an exhaust leak too. You could have a cracked exhaust manifold.

It may be hard to weld due to the location of the crack. It's where all the pipes come together. If that makes sense.

It smokes like crazy.

This 14b I bought was supposed to come with a j pipe and it did not. Also, the oil hard line is bent and therefor is kinked.

When I do the swap, I am going to post a video of me demonstrating the INCREDIBLE shaft play. I don't know how this thing is still functioning.

FP has thier mani's on sale right now for 175. Mine is awesome, maybe you should go that route.

Blue smoke is burned oil. It is possible your turbo has blown seals. If its smoking I the engine bay you you probably have an exhaust leak too. You could have a cracked exhaust manifold.

Not sure how you missed the OP.

If you have the opportunity to take it to a machine shop, I'm sure somebody could fix the weld for you and would be considerably less than a new manifold if you cannot upgrade. If the turbo is as bad as you are describing it is only a matter of time before it grenades and leaves you stranded.

I would definitely get the manifold repaired before installing the new 14b, I don't know how much boost you are running but remember if you have a crack in the manifold then your turbo must spin much fast to build the proper boost.

Not sure how you missed the OP.

If you have the opportunity to take it to a machine shop, I'm sure somebody could fix the weld for you and would be considerably less than a new manifold if you cannot upgrade. If the turbo is as bad as you are describing it is only a matter of time before it grenades and leaves you stranded.

I would definitely get the manifold repaired before installing the new 14b, I don't know how much boost you are running but remember if you have a crack in the manifold then your turbo must spin much fast to build the proper boost.

You make a very good point. I am going to see if my dad can weld it. He is a great welder (makes dirt modified chassis's).

I run wg pressure, so I peak at about 10psi and it drops to 5psi after 5K RPM or so.

not sure how you missed the title part of saying "need new manifold":toobad:

sucks man on the crack, thats what happens with ebay manifolds, and it will happen again if there is no support bars from the turbo flange to the head flange like the DNP's all that weight will make it bound to crack again in the next weakest spot.

not sure how you missed the title part of saying "need new manifold":toobad:

sucks man on the crack, thats what happens with ebay manifolds, and it will happen again if there is no support bars from the turbo flange to the head flange like the DNP's all that weight will make it bound to crack again in the next weakest spot.

Yea it really makes you wonder, how much people actually read the question before just posting an answer.

I was simply trying to help, he posted a questions, "My question is, will the turbo being blown cause the smoke out of the manifold? I am not sure if the turbo can affect this or if the smoke would be coming from the engine."

I was trying to assist, no need to flame me. I like how you criticize my post and the only mention of the manifold from me was the last sentence. You have nothing better to do?

I don't know about you but I know of 2 manifolds.. so the title can be taken either way. Not that I didn't know he was talking about the exhaust manifold from reading the post. The title does not specify intake or exhaust.

I thought we were all on the same page here. I didn't come to get flamed. I was simply trying to help with his question.

On another note, Zombiesix thanks for tip for the FP sale :D

Update.

Yesterday while driving home, I noticed the car getting a little louder. Got home, popped the hood. I looked at the manifold with the car on. It seemed to me that the crack in the header may not be where the leak was. Or at least, the big leak.

It sounded lower. I have like 3" of clearance under the front bumper and didn't feel like jacking up the car.

So, went out and got cigs. Then, bam. Car was extremely loud, and heard a weird noise. A mile or so later I got home. Jacked it up and found this (not a surprise after the last trip of driving, looked for this right away).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So yea, as you can see, open header now. The previous owner redid the exhaust on this car using the same diameter exhaust as the stock exhaust, and literally could not weld.

All of the welds on the exhaust are TERRIBLE. You can see several strands of wire stuck in the beads. Finally, one of the crappy welds broke. This is where the leak came from when I thought it was the header. Started out like a quiet exhaust leak until this.

Went to my gramps and cut a section of the exhaust off and hung the rest of it with some wire for now.

I am glad this happened though. My oil filter was loose and was about to fall off. Noticed it when cutting the exhaust off. That was a close one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebay manifols are literally paper thin. wont hold on anything making much more then 200hp if that. If the smoke smells sweet probibly a water leak if it smells like burnt cheez its its a oil leak. goodluck. running broken or cheap parts on a dsm will only discourage you about the car, they make great power and need quality parts. 4g63 is not a cut corner engine. needs to be done right

I tell ya what give me the Camaro and ill get you a custom built manifold LOL. But it looks like there is a whole chunk missing out of the pipe to i have never seen that before he must have used duck tape or something else, didnt know it was possible to weld that bad.

I tell ya what give me the Camaro and ill get you a custom built manifold LOL. But it looks like there is a whole chunk missing out of the pipe to i have never seen that before he must have used duck tape or something else, didnt know it was possible to weld that bad.

It is possible a chunk of the exhaust came off as well. I never realized that the two pieces of exhaust pipe don't look as if they would line up.

The camaro is very nice, I know. Thing is mint. 30K miles.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back