The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

FORK WELDED TO PP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YungTlon

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2018
Pueblo, Colorado
i need help!!! My clutchfork was rubbing on my pressure plate and I didn’t know!! If friction welded together, I already have a new pressure plate, pressure plate bolts, and fork coming in the mail I just need advice how to get it off so I can pull the transmission!! This is the “bead” on the pp and how the slave looks when I push in the clutch . I’m also scared I hurt the input shaft sleeve that the tob rides on what do you guys think? Still will let me go into gear fine. Just need help on ideas how to break the weld

Attachments

• CB7C5DF4-2D24-4B1C-96FD-6692121424BC.png
    CB7C5DF4-2D24-4B1C-96FD-6692121424BC.png
    637.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 80BBCC99-B1DA-4F19-BD9E-8D30876A69E6.png
    80BBCC99-B1DA-4F19-BD9E-8D30876A69E6.png
    633.4 KB · Views: 150
If you can still shift it isn't welded. It appears to be touching the plate and you need to remedy this when you install a new clutch. Somebody has probably shimmed the pivot too much. I would also guess your clutch pedal assembly is not good if somebody did that.

i thought the TOB was all that made contact with the pressure plate. right?

Ideally, yes. however, in that first picture it looks like there is evidence that pressure plate metal was hot enough to become molten as it appears to be visible on top of the fork. that would be explainable by the rotation of the flywheel in that direction. The PP also has a ring of paint missing in that orbit..

if the OP could redo their picture, focusing on the PP/fork contact point, it would be much more revealing. if not just cool to see.

obviously if it turns it isn't welded but I am taking a guess the OP tried to rotate the engine using a 1/2 ratchet while in neutral. as Paul says, give it a smack.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response I have figured it out . Pulled the transmission back out and came right off surprising I know, did feel as if it was stuck though but when finally pulled apart it looked great, fork obviously had a deep spot from friction and so did pp so ordered both new, Tob was perfect, input shaft sleeve was perfect,etc. had saw a comment above about my pedal assembly. I assume it is still fine as no play had developed in the pedal and I replaced the clutch arm and put a bronze bushing in it about 1,000 miles ago. Now just have to put it back together and change some things up, being the amount of shims that causes this problem!

It’s a act 2600 I added the shins because 3 barley engaged off the floor, one more felt cherry until I started it. I know who put the shims, I know who rebuilt the pedal assembly. Me me and me. It’s a common problem with the act 2600 read about it the pedal assembly is fine . Nothing is broken it’s just a heavy pp and needed a couple shims I refuse to get a longer slave rod

There is no bushing on the most common failure point in the pedal assembly. The bushing is on the clevis joint and where the clutch pedal slides through the brake aasembly. The major failure is where the clutch master lever bolts to the clutch pedal assembly. I'm not convinced you're still not looking at a pedal issue. Yes I've done several. Yes those bushings are problem but typically not the main issue. Just trying to help here as I didnt see you mention it.

Well thanks man I’ll have to look into it and see what’s up, could be my whole problem I just think it’s the common act bullshit but I guess we’ll have to see!

The piece that holds the clevis that bolts to the master cylinder. It's a thick piece of metal about 3 or 4 inches long. Lie on you back and grab it and grab the clutch pedal with your other hand. Try and move them relative to each other fore and aft. If they move that's your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back