The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved Fix a Valve Cover?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is there anyway to fix a valve cover? They seem hard to find...

See below the second spark plug wire from the left, I changed my gasket and tightened the bolts to tight. It didn't crack until I drove a few miles and came back home.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey sorry to bother you, I just wanted to mention that I have fixed a cracked cover with jb weld and proper prep and patience. I wouldn't recommend long term but it could by you some time. I'm not sure how severe your damage is. Again sorry to bother you.
Jason Penny

Hey sorry to bother you, I just wanted to mention that I have fixed a cracked cover with jb weld and proper prep and patience. I wouldn't recommend long term but it could by you some time. I'm not sure how severe your damage is. Again sorry to bother you.
Jason Penny

No bother thanks!

Hey I picked up a valve cover recently that had similar damage, you most likely used one of the longer 10s in that location, which can punch through the bottom of the threaded hole, creating the scenario that you now have........

I ended up cleaning the bottom and top side of the hole really well with preps all ( wax and grease remover/surface prep) and filled in the bottom of the hole with black RTV. Then after install, used thread sealer on the bolt, which holds my coil on plug unit in place.

Zero leak after months of use. This was damage I missed when I purchased the cover. I could have welded it but in didnt seem worth the trouble at that point. It can be a challenge to weld up contaminated aluminum......but the real reason was the heat would have damaged my fresh finish. I was pretty pissed I missed it before the finish, but it worked out. I almost didnt use it because of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back