The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G First Time AutoX, Any Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Most guys go out there and think they need to be tire squealing, ballz to the wall, and hard on the brakes through every turn. They typically are not the fastest, unless they are very experienced. Your line is what will make you fast. Go slower at first and pick up the pace each run until you find your sweet spot. Don't go launching the crap out of your car to try to increase your time drastically. It was never really worth the strain on the car for me as you usually don't get over 40mph anyway. A low RPM small launch if anything will do you just fine

• Be sure to check your tire pressure. Once you start racing, it is going to go up. Just be sure to lower the cold pressure a bit so its about normal when it goes up.

• Not sure on the rules where you are racing, but I would bring a helmet as many require it.

• Get there a little early so you can walk the course. It helps a lot.

• If its sunny, you may want sunglasses or a tinted lens on your helmet. Not being able to see sucks.

• Remember that the cones laying down are pointing in the direction you need to go. Helps a lot especially if you forget the course at all mid run.

• Make sure everything in your car is secured or strapped down. The last thing you want is something flying under your brake and causing you issues.
Autocross is a lot of fun and is a good entry into things such as road racing. If you have any interest in racing you will enjoy it a lot. Most importantly have fun and be safe.

• Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Most guys go out there and think they need to be tire squealing, ballz to the wall, and hard on the brakes through every turn. They typically are not the fastest, unless they are very experienced. Your line is what will make you fast. Go slower at first and pick up the pace each run until you find your sweet spot. Don't go launching the crap out of your car to try to increase your time drastically. It was never really worth the strain on the car for me as you usually don't get over 40mph anyway. A low RPM small launch if anything will do you just fine
  • Be sure to check your tire pressure. Once you start racing, it is going to go up. Just be sure to lower the cold pressure a bit so its about normal when it goes up.

• Not sure on the rules where you are racing, but I would bring a helmet as many require it.

• Get there a little early so you can walk the course. It helps a lot.

• If its sunny, you may want sunglasses or a tinted lens on your helmet. Not being able to see sucks.

• Remember that the cones laying down are pointing in the direction you need to go. Helps a lot especially if you forget the course at all mid run.

• Make sure everything in your car is secured or strapped down. The last thing you want is something flying under your brake and causing you issues.
Autocross is a lot of fun and is a good entry into things such as road racing. If you have any interest in racing you will enjoy it a lot. Most importantly have fun and be safe.

• Good advice, I have been reading and everyone says the same thing. Smooth operation and go slow at first. Never launched my car before until recently. Right now I have my launch control set at 3000RPM, not trying to break anything...yet.
  • What tire pressures do you recommend? I'm at stock recommended pressures now.
  • Any helmet recommendations? Can I just grab one off of Amazon (I have prime)
  • Definitely planning on walking the course more than once if I can.
Thanks for your advice! I'm pretty excited but also nervous at the same time. I don't normally beat on my car, but I guess autox isn't really in the realm of beating on a car.

Depending on the tire you are running, assuming a street tire, I would start out with about 35 cold and then check it again after a good run or 2. You want to be about 40-45 hot give or take on a street tire. Get some chalk and mark the side wall of your tire up to the tread pattern. Lower / raise the PSI until you get the roll over on the chalk where you want it. The sweet spot varies on the tire. Some are marked by a triangle, which is where you want the roll over to stop. Here is a general idea.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As far as a starter helmet, you can just get any Snell approved helmet on amazon. I have seen them on there for as cheap as 50 dollars.

No problem and good luck! You will have a lot of fun.

Walk the course multiple times. You're not going to win your first time out and its ok. Learn to drive your car and control its weight transfer. Slow in, fast out is the only way our cars can not push or understeer. Let an instructor ride with you. Most of all, have fun. Its addicting. :)

When you get to the autocross, find a spot to park and place any extra stuff you might have brought. Pull out your spare tire/jack and at least the driver side floor mat along with ANYTHING floating loose in your car and leave it all at your spot.

Try to get there early and try to sign up to work the first heat. This will give you a chance to watch some of the other drivers and see what the fast guys are doing...and what mistakes the new guys are making! Maybe pair up with an experienced driver to work a corner and get some free advice.

Make SURE your battery is bolted down before going to the event. You'd be surprised how many guys show up with a loose battery and don't even realize it...or how dangerous it is.

Check your lug nuts for proper torque and check your wheel bearings (give your wheels a good shake). Don't wanna lose a wheel. I've seen it happen.

Not sure about your local rules but to be safe (unless you know otherwise), don't show up in shorts or flip flops.

Stick around / sign up for some Fun Runs after the event for some more seat time.

For your first event, just concentrate on staying on-course, it's probably all you will be able to manage when you are new. Fast doesn't mean anything if you go the wrong way and DNF. Have an experienced racer ride along with you to help you navigate, and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Some very good advice given thus far. I can add some to the above:

Before event:

• Along with wheel bearings, check for play on ball joints/tie rods/sway bar links.
  • Check all fluid levels.
  • With the battery, in addition to making sure it is secure, ensure something is covering the positive battery terminal. If the red cover is missing, then place electrical tape around exposed positive terminal components. If the battery were to become un-secure, or something metal move over it, you have the makings of a fire.
  • Ensure your exhaust exits past the driver seat.
  • Verify the the allowed modifications for your class. If a said modification is not stated in the rules, then it is not allowed in your class.
  • Check to see if loaner helmets are available. Most require at LEAST Snell 2005/2010 rating for a helmet.
At the event:
  • Get there early. many events have a novice walk for new drivers that offer suggestions that won't be shared during the driver's meeting. You will also want to locate registration and where to tech your car.
  • I usually put an extra 1/2 quart of oil in the car.
  • Bring blue painter's tape to make numbers/class for the side of your car.
  • Dress for the weather. You will be outside ALL day.
  • Bring plenty of water to drink. If I don't have to pee before I head to my car before runs, I am not drinking enough water.
  • Don't plan to win. Start slow to navigate the course. It will all come so fast that it can be easy to get "lost". You will know what this means when you complete your first run.
  • Introduce yourself to other humans at the event. Ask questions, generally folks are happy to help out.
  • Don't over focus on getting video/pictures of yourself. Focus on driving and watching others.
  • HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Be sure to report back here how it went.

Learn to drive your car and control its weight transfer. Slow in, fast out is the only way our cars can not push or understeer.

Will definitely try to remember this while I'm out there :thumb:. I know our AWD cars naturally want to under steer in stock form. Been trying to find a rear RM Sway Bar forever, but no luck.

Some very good advice given thus far. I can add some to the above:
  • I usually put an extra 1/2 quart of oil in the car.
Be sure to report back here how it went.

What is the purpose of the extra 1/2 quart? For keeping the crankcase full of oil while sloshing around? Should I be worried about overfilling the crankcase?
I will be sure to report back!

Thank you everyone for your advice, it will definitely be helpful! I'm really looking forward to getting some seat time.

What is the purpose of the extra 1/2 quart? For keeping the crankcase full of oil while sloshing around? Should I be worried about overfilling the crankcase?

The biggest concern is ensuring there is oil for the oil pick-up. This method is THE cheapest way to combat a lack of oil during cornering. After 4 or so years of motorsport events, I have no ill effects of adding the extra 1/2 quart of oil. I also have to include that I still using 200 tread-wear tires.

The biggest concern is ensuring there is oil for the oil pick-up. This method is THE cheapest way to combat a lack of oil during cornering. After 4 or so years of motorsport events, I have no ill effects of adding the extra 1/2 quart of oil. I also have to include that I still using 200 tread-wear tires.

Ok, good piece of advice. I will add some oil in tomorrow while I look over my car.

Well the event was a blast! Got in 5 official runs and stayed around for 3 more "fun runs." First 2 runs I was DNF. I dropped my time between every run, started at 55 seconds and ended the day on a 39.5 second run. So I achieved my goal of beating myself. I believe the fastest time was a 34 second run by a C6 Z06. Overall it was a success and I will most likely attend the next event in November.

However, on my 8th and final run there was a thump sound coming from the rear of the car during launch (3000rpm with no antilag). Still ended up being my fastest time though. Upon initial research, I think it may be a carrier bearing or rear diff mounts. Haven't had the chance to get under the car yet but will definitely check it out.

Congrats on popping your Autocross cherry!

On the thud, if you find that the carrier bearing is the issue, reaplce both since the drive shaft will need removed. Jafromobile has a short series on YouTube about this job.

If the rear diff is the cause, I reccomend replacing the rear subframe bushings in addition to the rear diff since it needs to be removed anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back