The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECUflash First Flashed DSM ECU! (98/99 Flashing FAQ)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No hidden cost besides the sensors. Unless you need to get a bung welded into your IC piping. But even then, you could probably thread it into the stock TB or IM somewhere.

I haven't had to much of a problem with it. Easiest way to tune it would be to leave the MAF in and use the built in SD calculations to tune it. Then once you get it all close, switch it over to the SD.

I've had to add some extra enrichment for when it's cold, but otherwise, no big problems.

OK, Got a few questions. I got my Tactrix Cable and the flash connector all hooked up.

I downloaded the Definition files for the 98 GSX and put both them into the eclipse folder. I can open up my stock Rom and view it now but does it matter what definition file that I used?

My stock ROM ID is 20560010. My car is a 98 Talon TSI AWD

From what I understand it does not matter what Definition Files that I have in the folder as all that does is allow me to view the stock ROM correct?

Last question. I downloaded the ROM and the Definition for the 98GST as this is the ROM that has Ceddymods that I want so I can do the Knock Gauge.

From what I assume I should be able to set my injector scaling and latency in that rom and then flash that to the car and make sure to disconnect the battery and it should be good right?

does it matter what definition file that I used?
Each definition file tells ECUFlash where the tables are located in the ROM and what size they are, which allows your ECUFlash tuning changes to be placed correctly in the ROM when it's reflashed. They are not universal, each ROM number has a different definition file.

From what I understand it does not matter what Definition Files that I have in the folder as all that does is allow me to view the stock ROM correct?
As long as you have the definition file there that corresponds to the ROM you're working with you're good to go. If you're using a modified ROM, you need to also use the modifying developer's definition file to be sure any programming or patching they changed in the ROM is properly addressed by ECUFlash. If you want to reflash your ECU to use Ceddy's modified GST ROM, you need to also use his definition file for it.

From what I assume I should be able to set my injector scaling and latency in that rom and then flash that to the car and make sure to disconnect the battery and it should be good right?
Yes, but why do you need to disconnect the battery?

Each definition file tells ECUFlash where the tables are located in the ROM and what size they are, which allows your ECUFlash tuning changes to be placed correctly in the ROM when it's reflashed. They are not universal, each ROM number has a different definition file.

As long as you have the definition file there that corresponds to the ROM you're working with you're good to go. If you're using a modified ROM, you need to also use the modifying developer's definition file to be sure any programming or patching they changed in the ROM is properly addressed by ECUFlash. If you want to reflash your ECU to use Ceddy's modified GST ROM, you need to also use his definition file for it.

Yes, but why do you need to disconnect the battery?

What I am trying to get at is this.

There are definition files for each ROM.
Let say I were to download all the definition files that were on ceddy's website and put them into the Eclipse folder.

Even though I have more than 1 definition file in that folder is that going to make a difference?

The reason I was asking about disconnecting the battery is because the ROM and the definition file that has the actual ceddymod on it is from a 98 gst where as I have a 98 AWD TSI.

Even though I have more than 1 definition file in that folder is that going to make a difference?
Take a look at all the definition files in the Evo folder. No, it won't matter as long as there aren't any duplicate names with different data. All it does is allow you to open and view all of the known tables in ECUFlash for any ROM that has a definition file in that folder.

The reason I was asking about disconnecting the battery is because the ROM and the definition file that has the actual ceddymod on it is from a 98 gst where as I have a 98 AWD TSI.
It shouldn't matter. If you rewrite over the existing ROM with the GST ROM, the ECU will now just run on the GST ROM. Disconnecting the battery does not clear Read Only Memory, but things like stored fuel trims and DTCs will have been reset.

He needs to start working with the guys that created the tephra rom for the Evo's. To incorporate those awesome features to the H8. I'll gladly be a test subject. Its only like 4 wires to switch back over to the H8 ECU from the Evo8.

Got ceddymod's flashed to the ECU today. All went well and I dialed in my injectors and it runs great.

Got ceddymod's flashed to the ECU today. All went well and I dialed in my injectors and it runs great.

I haven't been so lucky ROFL

I can't figure out what is causing my car to run so rich at idle. Guess I'll keep chugging along tomorrow and try to figure it out.

He needs to start working with the guys that created the tephra rom for the Evo's. To incorporate those awesome features to the H8. I'll gladly be a test subject. Its only like 4 wires to switch back over to the H8 ECU from the Evo8.

He has worked with Tephra, phenem, and a few others on getting tips on where to look for maps, and as guidance for some mods.

I just don't know how much interest he has in doing work on it anymore.

So I read through majority of this thread and got a good understanding of everything, but my question is, after I flash ceddy's ROM, my boost needle doesn't sweep. So did it flash? My computer says it did, but its hard to tell cause I'm learning how to tune with the stock injectors, and I didn't mess with much. Also, for the stationary rev limit, do you need the clutch switch wired in? I enabled all of his mods, besides NLTS and I can't get any of them to work. Hence me thinking its not actually flashing the ECU. But I don't get any errors or anything. I test write, then write, and it says it was successful... any ideas? Thanks

Edit:

This is with the free version. I wanted to get comfortable before I purchased the big maps version. Not sure if that would matter.

I got a newb question for you guys.
How do you guys log engine load? Are the numbers(10 to 180) on top of the fuel and timing maps loggable values? or does Evoscan map trace so if one needed to increase or decrease AFR/timing in a specific cell it would be easy to find which one?

So I read through majority of this thread and got a good understanding of everything, but my question is, after I flash ceddy's ROM, my boost needle doesn't sweep. So did it flash? My computer says it did, but its hard to tell cause I'm learning how to tune with the stock injectors, and I didn't mess with much. Also, for the stationary rev limit, do you need the clutch switch wired in? I enabled all of his mods, besides NLTS and I can't get any of them to work. Hence me thinking its not actually flashing the ECU. But I don't get any errors or anything. I test write, then write, and it says it was successful... any ideas? Thanks

Edit:

This is with the free version. I wanted to get comfortable before I purchased the big maps version. Not sure if that would matter.

The big maps just has bigger maps for more resolution. It's not the cause of any of your problems.

The boost needle will no long sweep under normal use. It will now show knock counts. First mark up is 3 counts. Next is 6. And I think the next is 9.

I have an automatic, and the launch control stuff worked fine for me. I don't know what you manual guys need to do to get it to properly work.

If it says it flashed successfully, then it did. I've never had it say success without it being so.

I got a newb question for you guys.
How do you guys log engine load? Are the numbers(10 to 180) on top of the fuel and timing maps loggable values? or does Evoscan map trace so if one needed to increase or decrease AFR/timing in a specific cell it would be easy to find which one?

Yes. They're loggable. You're limited to 160 with factory MUTII logging parameter, but Ceddy's version has a "1 byte load" which uses a scaling factor to increase that limit.

Evoscan map traces, but it interpolates the cells differently than the ECU does. It will usually get you close enough to the cell that from there, you can figure out which cell you need.

the big maps just has bigger maps for more resolution. It's not the cause of any of your problems.

The boost needle will no long sweep under normal use. It will now show knock counts. First mark up is 3 counts. Next is 6. And i think the next is 9.

0-5-10-15

I'm still really crossing my fingers for Ceddy to release the 99 GSX rom. Every time I hear someone mention his interest in the project, I keep thinking about the $50 I've invested in his operation..
I may have to step it up to prayer, but for now I can enjoy the now functional downloads section on his site.

How much different is the 99 rom going to be?

I doubt you'd notice, really. But that's not the point. It's like 5 years newer and included many tweaks and patches that were not available on any off-the-lot car. The last work was done for the 2g ECU was completed by Mitsu in 2004. I must taste it.

Couple of questions concerning ceddy mods.

I cannot seem to get the stationary rev limit working.

I am wondering if it requires the clutch switch to be connected as My clutch switch is bypassed.

I have went through and set the stationary limit to 5500rpm and flashed the car but it does not work.

Maybe I am missing something?

Couple of questions concerning ceddy mods.

I cannot seem to get the stationary rev limit working.

I am wondering if it requires the clutch switch to be connected as My clutch switch is bypassed.

I have went through and set the stationary limit to 5500rpm and flashed the car but it does not work.

Maybe I am missing something?

Did you turn it on? My clutch switch is bypassed also.

under "ceddy mods setup bits", "launch control" should have a 1

You may also check the speed in which it disengages the stationary rev limit.

Did you turn it on? My clutch switch is bypassed also.

under "ceddy mods setup bits", "launch control" should have a 1

You may also check the speed in which it disengages the stationary rev limit.

I have it turned on under ceddy bits and the speed was already set too 8mph I believe

I also cannot seem to get the CEL to flash when there is knock. I entered a value of 1 in the table but the CEL does not flash.

Last edited:
Does a Holset (say HX35) flow to much for the stock 2G MAF? What about the EVO MAF? I have probably read every single post on this forum about Holset turbo's, even the GT35R, and I would love to go bigger. I love my 16G but everything I have read and seen says that Holset turbo's are the street monsters...

I think I read further back in this thread or maybe one of the others but the most we can do on the 2G is 50, and 66 on the 3G/Evo MAF. That was also years ago and we have come alot futher on flashing our ECU's. So realistically can we run a Holset at 25-30psi? How hard would it be to tune?

Well I was unaware that the "Full" version of Ceddymods was $30.00

I guess I have the stripped down version and when I try to buy the full version with my Debit Card it will not let me do it but it works for everything else.

Ceddy where are you?

The hx35 flows 60lbs/min so the eco maf is fine

Does a Holset (say HX35) flow to much for the stock 2G MAF? What about the EVO MAF? I have probably read every single post on this forum about Holset turbo's, even the GT35R, and I would love to go bigger. I love my 16G but everything I have read and seen says that Holset turbo's are the street monsters...

I think I read further back in this thread or maybe one of the others but the most we can do on the 2G is 50, and 66 on the 3G/Evo MAF. That was also years ago and we have come alot futher on flashing our ECU's. So realistically can we run a Holset at 25-30psi? How hard would it be to tune?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back