The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Finally got the spyder on a dyno!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So there is hope for my Spyder after all :) ! Congrats!

If it has a 4G63..it has hope. I just picked up a Spyder on Monday to swap my 2.3L into. I'm pretty sure mine will have hope.

i'd try to sell those BC cams and get a set of GSC 2 cams, DKS, HKS or Kelford 272s...shit about anything else really. That and once you get the injectors in there and tuned, you should be rockin some pretty decent power.

i'd try to sell those BC cams and get a set of GSC 2 cams, DKS, HKS or Kelford 272s...shit about anything else really. That and once you get the injectors in there and tuned, you should be rockin some pretty decent power.

Why get rid of the Brian Crower's? I've been noticing alot of people switching up the 272 preference. Any reason for this?

Btw OP awesome car.

I havent had any problems with the BC's and I was on a budget when I bought them. Maybe this winter when I do my other build Ill buy something else, but Ive got a set of adjustable cam gears that arent installed to properly dial in these cams. A buddy of mine told me after theyre dialed in I will notice a big difference in performance.

Also as Ive said about four times now, the injectors are installed and a tune has been put to the car. No new numbers as of yet though.

Why, because they suck. People have switched to "smaller" better cams and made more power. In some cases a LOT more power, like say switching from BC 280's to Kelford 272's...the advertised degree is less but there gaining a LOT of power. Cause theres more to a cam than the advertised degree...a lot more actually. Do some reading on the subject and you will see for the older 4G63 like ours (and the early evo's) theres really only 3-4 manufactures that really make nice cams, and BC is not one of them LOL. Affordable...yea, and in this case you get what you pay for too.

Manufactures I would consider buying cams from.
1. GSC
2. Kelford
3. HKS
4. FP

If I was on a budget...maybe the DKS re-grinds as even THERE better than the BCs. Only thing to really note is that with the Kelfords and some of the GSC's or FP variations of cams, you can't just throw them in and go, you HAVE to upgrade your valve springs etc. Otherwise due to the high ramp rates, your valves wont like you...or the engines pistons. (valve float)

You really should spend a LOT of time researching cams, as there a major part of your engine that decides how the whole engine responds and where it makes it's power. I for instance am planning on a set of GSC 1 cams, there a pretty good drop in cam, and there in the middle from say a HKS 264 and 272 @ 268* and still have good ramp rates etc....Far as quality goes no one beats HKS IMO. But they are dated and don't produce the most power since there ramp rates are much less aggressive. Which DOES mean less stress on the valve train. So it's not always a bad thing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back