The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fidanza Flywheel install????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRolla

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
I bought a fidanza flywheel/act 2600 setup to install on my car with my new transmission. The guy I bought it from gave me some pointers on installing the flywheel that Ive never heard of before and want to know what you guys think.

First off he tells me I should get a flexplate ring(not correct name) that installs on the auto flywheels. He said its a steel ring that goes around all the flywheel bolts and acts as a washer. He said the bolts are steel and you dont want the bolts bolting straight too aluminum. The ring allows the load to be distributed between the bolts.

Then he said the fidanza is a little thicker than the stock flywheel and if I use the ring that will make it even thicker. He said get a set of auto flywheel bolts that are longer and use those so when you install the flywheel you have the same thread count as the stocker.

Now the auto bolts are a little too long so he recommended I use a bottoming out undersized tap, to tap the bottom of the holes on the crank so the auto bolts wont bottom out and now I have the same thread count as if I was running a stock flywheel.

Is this all neccessary for the install??

Necessary, no. Good idea, yes. FP actually sells a kit for 45 bucks for this exact reason. The main reason to do this it to cut down the risk of the bolts coming loose or stripping. I've run my fidanza without these things without a problem though. But it's all up to you. If your paranoid do it, if not, just locktite it and torque. :thumb:

Necessary, no. Good idea, yes. FP actually sells a kit for 45 bucks for this exact reason. The main reason to do this it to cut down the risk of the bolts coming loose or stripping. I've run my fidanza without these things without a problem though. But it's all up to you. If your paranoid do it, if not, just locktite it and torque. :thumb:

Yea I know FP sells it, you can call up JNZ tuning and they will give you the bolts and ring for under $15.

Yea I know FP sells it, you can call up JNZ tuning and they will give you the bolts and ring for under $15.

SO then what was the question?

If cost is your concern, it seems your friend has found a fairly efficient way of assembling the necessary pieces for a good install. If cost is not a concern and time is important, the longer (just right) bolts of the install kit should fill your needs.

You should NOT use the stock bolts, as they will be too short and can have catastrophic failure on an aluminum flywheel install.

Man so many mixed stories on the subject. From what read it looks like the ACT flywheel may be 4mm thicker when the Fidanza is actually not thicker at all if those people measured correctly. So when people do use the longer bolts on the fidanza they may end up needing to tap the holes more often.

My buddy is Jack that runs jackstransmissions.com and I will see what he says about the madder before I hit the dealership for some bolts.

SO then what was the question?

If cost is your concern, it seems your friend has found a fairly efficient way of assembling the necessary pieces for a good install. If cost is not a concern and time is important, the longer (just right) bolts of the install kit should fill your needs.

You should NOT use the stock bolts, as they will be too short and can have catastrophic failure on an aluminum flywheel install.

Question is, do I need to do it. Not where to get the parts. Plus fidanza says they build the flywheel to 100% oem spec and size. So why would the bolts be too short. Only reason I see now to use them is so the bolts dont seat themselves into the aluminum when torquing.

I've been using my original, factory flywheel bolts with an aluminum flywheel for the past 4 years. I've had no issues.

FYI: If you want longer bolts, you can buy them from ARP. You will need to buy the kit for the Toyota 3SGTE engine (part number 203-2801). They are a bit longer than our OE bolts, and you will probably need to bottom tap the crank holes. Also, I believe the quantity supplied in the ARP kit is 8, so you will have a couple extras.

Ok thanks, the auto bolts work just fine and are most likely cheaper. Plus I wont have to wait to have them shipped because they be in stock.

I'm doing a 5 speed swap on my GST...I have to get stock flywheel bolts because the flex plate bolts are not long enough...

I thought the fidanza was around 4mm thicker then oem around the bolt surface. Also just for your info the FP kit didn't require taping anymore threads.

I thought the fidanza was around 4mm thicker then oem around the bolt surface. Also just for your info the FP kit didn't require taping anymore threads.

Thats what a lot of people way but after reading posts a guy actually measured his stock flywheel and the fidanza. It was exactly the same. He then emailed fidanza and they said they make all flywheels to oem spec for easy install. Then another guy measured his ACT and it was 4.5mm thicker.

The FP kit just uses OEM automatic flywheel bolts. In some cases you do need to tap the holes, even FP says this. Im getting a new tranny installed and I'm not doing this one so I'm just wondering if I should have my mechanic do the install with the longer bolts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back