The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G FIAV Screws removal (SOLVED)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMatt209

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2015
Danville, Indiana
So I’m doing a TB rebuild and while taking off the FIAV screws I got all of them except the one in the middle that would be impossible to get vice grips on or anything. It’s starting to strip does anyone have any advice at all on how I could remove this screw? I’m thinking about buying one of those stripped screw removeres from Lowe’s tomorrow, but I’d love some feedback from you guys.

Impact driver will work sell here, these things are a pita to remove and sometimes get lucky, j did one and was ok, my other and a few wont budge

Yes, use a impact screwdriver, when tapped with a hammer the force will break it loose, if it's stripped bad I would spray it with aerokroil, or pb blaster, also using valve grinding compound in the head creates grip and use a good bit or a bit with teeth on them, if that fails, drill the head with a #30 and use a snapon/hanson extractor.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/05083217

As stated above use a impact screwdriver but if the head is totally wasted just simply drill off the head of the screw. Drill until the assembly pops off. Since it's the last bolt you should feel it pop. Vise-grips will easily take care of the threaded portion because there is no torque on the bolt anymore. Had this happen twice.

Success! Thanks all of you for the advice, I ended up going straight for drilling the head off of the screw and it worked like a charm. I used a flathead and a hammer to know the head off after drilling it and the FIAV came right off. Funny part is I was able to unscrew the rest of the screw by hand very easily. I’m thinking it was the washer or soemthing that made it so hard to turn. But thank again for the help guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back