The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

feels like I have a welded center diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwd4life

Probationary Member
Feb 21, 2010
battleground, Washington
I gave my friend a ride in my car the other day. It was wet so, I lunched it for him everything seemed fine tell I got in it the next day. Feels like my diff is welded or the rear end. Worst party is it makes no sounds every once in a while you can hear this loud ping but I dont kno ### it is.

PS THIS IS MY FRIENDS ACCOUNT, I HAVE A 95 tsi

And the transfer case fuild slight black tint to it and it sells dirty

Thanks antonio

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave my friend a ride in my car the other day. It was wet so, I lunched it for him everything seemed fine tell I got in it the next day. Feels like my diff is welded or the rear end. Worst party is it makes no sounds every once in a while you can hear this loud ping but I dont kno ### it is.

PS THIS IS MY FRIENDS ACCOUNT, I HAVE A 95 tsi

And the transfer case fuild slight black tint to it and it sells dirty

Thanks antonio

Terrible grammar and double posted. Try doing a few U-turns that will determine if you have welded diff or not. Welded diffs restricts your U-turn capablities and is mean't for straight driving only, hence DRAG racing.

Well thanks for letting me kno
### is the problem wit my car?

I'm not super keen on drivetrain stuff but:
When you say it feels like it's welded what EXACTLY do you mean?

same exact thing happened to me, when in first or reverse and turning hard i hear a clunk sometimes and also the inside tire is skipping, hence the welded diff like situation but sounds to me like we both seized our center diffs, can anyone else verify this to be true

Hopefully you don't have busted diff with broken spider gears getting caught up in other gear sets.

Otherwise, the occasional noise may be due to the fact that you still have the viscous coupler installed. Power is transferred through that before the center diff. If you have a seized center diff, you may only get the effects when the power is passed through. The problem is only constant if you use the viscous coupling eliminator.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back