1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

feels like I have a welded center diff

Posted by fwd4life, Apr 9, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. fwd4life

fwd4life Probationary Member

Joined Feb 21, 2010
    battleground, Washington
    I gave my friend a ride in my car the other day. It was wet so, I lunched it for him everything seemed fine tell I got in it the next day. Feels like my diff is welded or the rear end. Worst party is it makes no sounds every once in a while you can hear this loud ping but I dont kno ### it is.

PS THIS IS MY FRIENDS ACCOUNT, I HAVE A 95 tsi

And the transfer case fuild slight black tint to it and it sells dirty

Thanks antonio

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2011
  2. 1cleanreddsm

1cleanreddsm Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2009
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Terrible grammar and double posted. Try doing a few U-turns that will determine if you have welded diff or not. Welded diffs restricts your U-turn capablities and is mean't for straight driving only, hence DRAG racing.

3. fwd4life

fwd4life Probationary Member

Joined Feb 21, 2010
    battleground, Washington
    Well thanks for letting me kno
    ### is the problem wit my car?

4. Absit

Absit Proven Member

Joined Dec 19, 2002
    Davenport, Iowa
    I'm not super keen on drivetrain stuff but:
    When you say it feels like it's welded what EXACTLY do you mean?

5. bsbllfit7

bsbllfit7 Proven Member

Joined Feb 17, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    same exact thing happened to me, when in first or reverse and turning hard i hear a clunk sometimes and also the inside tire is skipping, hence the welded diff like situation but sounds to me like we both seized our center diffs, can anyone else verify this to be true

663  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 2G DSM
  6. wannarace

wannarace Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2002
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Hopefully you don't have busted diff with broken spider gears getting caught up in other gear sets.

Otherwise, the occasional noise may be due to the fact that you still have the viscous coupler installed. Power is transferred through that before the center diff. If you have a seized center diff, you may only get the effects when the power is passed through. The problem is only constant if you use the viscous coupling eliminator.

331  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.900 @ 96.000 · 1G DSM