The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Fatal mistake?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDM-killer

Probationary Member
Mar 20, 2011
Beaumont, California
Sup fellow DSMrs i recently started a timing belt change on my 97 Rs and every thing went perfect until the installation. before actual removal of the belt i made sure i was at tdc (cams and crank marks lined up) then removed the belt.The alldata procedure from school stated to turn crank pulley back a 1/2 tooth so i did. When i got the belt on and installed the hydro tensioner i noticed the crank was at tdc but my cams advanced. now knowing this an interference engine i know thats not good.Can i just turn cams back? ### do i do to fix the problem? is it too late? PLEASE HELP SAVE MY BABY. I cant stand seeing her on jacks!! Thank you for reading.

If you haven't tried to run it you should be fine. I'm on my phone now, but it no one has answered your other concerns when I get home I'll answer you

yeah as long as you haven't tried starting the car, you will be fine.

re-time it and your good to go.

Last edited:
no i havent tried starting it yet as soon as i notecied the prob i stoped. so can i turn the cams back by hand (with belt off) and give it another go? or how would you guys do it?

Ya turn the cams back by hand. They're telling you to turn crank back 1/2 tooth to allow for slack and stretching. After adjusting and turning crank 6 turns, wait 15 minutes to allow belt stretching and then check/adjust again. As long as you do what it takes to get all the marks lined up AFTER adjusting and stretching you're ok.

Cool thanks guys i was a little worried there for a minute. AWESOME!!! and luv2rallye thats the sickest pic ive ever seen!!!!

Man the timing on the 420a seems like a different language past engine work etc... someone needs to make a video LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back