The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

external wastegate/dump tube?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theycallmedalgo

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2006
Sparta/Montclair, New_Jersey
i searched all 4 pages on dump tubes and came away with some conflicting information, therefore i decided to post.

Mods are in my profile but basically im interested in getting a dump tube going from the external wastegate routed back into the exhaust. this is because currently the ext wg is dumping into the engine bay which seems AWFUL!

what i would like to know is how i would go about getting a dump tube. should i find a local muffler shop that will weld the dump tube from the wg into the dp at a 45 degree angle? how much would something like that cost?

the clear coat is starting to fade on the hood because of the ex wg venting below it and i know it is harmful so i want to do something about it.

are there any other solutions besides a dump tube? any input is appreciated, thank you

you can either re-rout the dump into your exhaust or make a pipe that routs the dumped exhaust down toward the ground and out of the engine bay. A good local muffler shop should be able to do both but the second choice would be easier for them to do (or harder to screw up) and cheaper for you. On a side note, it will be very loud every time your WG opens.

yeah i heard it would sound really sick but im worried about attracting the attention of cops OMG so i dont know if i should do that but ill think about it.

seems the better way to go so they dont jack up my exhaust, but where should i route the dump tube from the wastegate? underneath the car or out the front?

id like it to be inconspicous meaning not having a pipe coming out of the fender however badass it may be.

Mine actually comes across the engine bay at an angle to the manifold and is welded into the bottom of the downpipe with a 90 degree arc so that it doesn't disturb exhaust flow. It sounds much better than when it was dumped and although I posted a pic of it in a thread, I haven't been able to find it so you can see what I had done for reference.

I'll keep looking,

Andy

Edit: Here you go: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209477&page=2 Post #49

I did mine similar to Andy's. I welded an 8" piece of 38mm pipe onto a flange to bolt to the wastegate, then using a hole-saw I drilled a 38mm hole in the downpipe. I welded a 4" piece of 38mm pipe at a 90* angle on the downpipe. To connect them I used 38mm (1 1/2") exhaust flex pipe. That way its easy to take everything apart when you need to work on things. It also gives me the option of dumping it to the ground when I feel in the macho mood.

blackGSX2g said:
It also gives me the option of dumping it to the ground when I feel in the macho mood.

Which is probably most of the time right?

Sorry Matt. Couldn't resist a bit of a jab!

I couldn't see what type of turbo you were running, but I recently dropped in a setup with a 38mm and external dump. I don't mind the noise as it only happens when i actually want to hit boost and not when casually driving. It is quite loud, but fun at the same time. I can see myself eventually rerouting it to the exhaust.

Mine is dumped straight down from the wastegate and the end of the pipe reaches just beneath the bottom of the radiator if that gives you any visual picture of how long it is.

thank you guys, you have been very helpful.

i liked your setup andy, you sexy bastard!

my only concern is that my wastegate vents upward because the previous owner said that the other way it rubbed against something so i might have clearance issues with a dump tube. would i be able to just unbolt it then bolt it back up upside down?

that way i could cure any clearance issues with the hood and have a shorter, more direct route for the gases to.

this is the only way i know how to post pictures, but take a look to see what im talking about. thanks again

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0a12rd5.jpg

jesus, no wonder your clear coat is going...flip that thing around and get some piping made ASAP...i wouldn't see any issue with rotating that wg around, if there is cut off part of the manifold, rotate the manifold pipe and then re-weld it so the wg is pointing downwards....the noise is onyl bad when your at full boost other wise it just sounds normal.

andymoraitis said:
Which is probably most of the time right?

Sorry Matt. Couldn't resist a bit of a jab!

Hahaha...yea, I enjoy flexing my muscles from time to time :D

Flip that wastegate around and make it fit, that'll cause lots of problems in your engine bay.

Wow,

Holy wrong way to face that thing Batman! Turn it around and pipe it downwards as recommended

theycallmedalgo said:
i liked your setup andy, you sexy bastard!

Flattery will get you everywhere, but I'm too fat to be sexy. Sing with me "I'm too sexy for my fat..."

Matt: I'm going to run at Martin next year and you're the car I want to line up against. I'd love to see how the stroker with a non BB 50 trim stacks up against your quicker spooling 2.0 with the SMIM. I'm guess it'll be a pretty darn good race (I'd put money on you though).

haha yeah that thing needs to be turned upside down or else i should just put a hole in my hood ( just kidding ). ill call the muffler shop tomorrow and get a wuote and get that taken care of as well as getting an afpr so i can finally tune this thing.

thanks guys ill be back

eagleye said:
it will be loud unless you route it back into the downpipe

thats what i hear but i wish i had some reference as to how loud it would actually be. even sound clips arent completely accurate, but a driveby with an ex wg would be nice :cool:

Loud enough to make a couple of girls walking down the road jump when it goes off and you're in the far lane from them.

Loud enough to make you wince when passing a car or going through an underpass.

Loud enough that Mustang GTs, firebirds and vetts look at you dumbfounded when you blow it off next to them. Yea, they're jealous.

Take my word for it, it's loud. But, I love it! :thumb: :rocks:

DsmKid98GST said:
Loud enough to make a couple of girls walking down the road jump when it goes off and you're in the far lane from them.

Loud enough to make you wince when passing a car or going through an underpass.

Loud enough that Mustang GTs, firebirds and vetts look at you dumbfounded when you blow it off next to them. Yea, they're jealous.

Take my word for it, it's loud. But, I love it! :thumb: :rocks:

you have just inspired me to leave it open haha! i just wont hit boost when im around cops and ill be good. im going to get a silencer for the muffler in order to pass emissions or i might just go to some mom and pop inspection place by my house and have them do it :shhh:

Be warned that if you are dumping to the atmosphere, and you have a semi strict emmisions it will fail, also the DMV people where I live go and inspect the cars (because it gives reason for the lines to get longer), and and externally dumped WG will fail visual inspection. Thats how it is around here, we have to de-mod some parts on out cars to get through inspections, then throw everything back on after they pass. I will say this externally dumped WGs sound so sexy, and its great on this local RT here in Mass. its got Jersey Barrier's so the sound bounces around.

Dustin

dustin, how old are you? i always thought you were like this 17 year old dsm genius but now i think you're much older for some reason. just curious haha

i dont think the inspection places by me will even know what a wastegate is, let alone whether the dump tube goes into the down pipe or not. ill give it a shot without the silencer and with dark tint and see how it goes.

i can always come back right? ;)

the bad thing is i bought this car modified so changing it back to stock would be a major PITA and would be costly. ill keep you guys informed, i get the car thursday.

LOL Im 18, and far from a DSM genius, but thanks for the flatering comment, I just know my fair share of info, but there are a lot of others that are much more knowlwdgable, give it a shot, and if they don't like it then you can go back at a later date. Also as far as the cops consern don't go WOT on the side of one, and you will be fine. Long as I get my car inspected in CT I can get away with not passing emmisions, and having anything on it for mods.

Dustin

my friends dump tube on his 1g awd w/ 16g isnt very loud . His dumps straight down in front of the radiator were his a/c fan used to be, on a short lenght of pipe.
I imagen the longer its ran the quieter right?

The sound the external dump makes is really dependant on the set-up. Paul's (99gst_racer) is coming off of the collector and its really not that loud at all, actually sounds kinda neat. Mine is dumped off the #1 runner a few inches from the head and it just sounds obnoxius most of the time. It does have a good shock value though.

andymoraitis said:
Matt: I'm going to run at Martin next year and you're the car I want to line up against. I'd love to see how the stroker with a non BB 50 trim stacks up against your quicker spooling 2.0 with the SMIM. I'm guess it'll be a pretty darn good race (I'd put money on you though).

I'm there...I think it'll be a pretty good race, I wouldn't count yourself out just yet, I'm sure you have a way better tune than I do. I've been running E85 ($1.85 a gallon) and it helped my top end tune tremendously, its to bad the track is closed now. Its way easier to tune and way cheaper than race gas. E85 also doesn't make you smell like you've been riding a dirt bike when you drive around.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back