The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

exhaust manifold studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I have a 90 tsi awd and its stock except a aftermarket boost gauge and i have a pocketlogger setup. My problem begins with the boost, I am not getting any at all. So I checked for leaks with a tester and found one at the throttle body and thats all that i could find. I then heard that I should check to see if I am leaking exhaust gas from my manifold. Turns out that the two top right holes and the bottom right hole in the head is stripped. I was then advised to try and use jb weld, that did not work. So I found that I should try and use a helicoil, but from what I have read, I have to drill out the hole first. Drilling out the bottom right hole and using the helicoil seems impossible because of the motor mount sticking out in front of the head. Could anybody give me some advice as to how I should solve this problem. thanks

I have drilled out 5 of the studs, since 2 were already broke, and 3 broke as I tried to remove them. This was with the motor in the car. I had to remove the radiator, which took about 10 mins max. I drilled out the studs using a corded drill, and I didn't have any problem hitting anything. I used Jeff's stainles kit ssstuds.com I bought the stainless studs/ copper nuts and I've had zero problems.

There is a huge diference between the driver side motor mount on a 1g and the one on a 2g. The one on the 1g wraps around to the front of the motor and that is why he is wondering how he is supposed to drill out that hole. The best thing you can do is to support the engine and remove the motor mount and the motor mount bracket in order to get to that hole. You have to remove a handful of items in order to do so but there is no other way to do a helicoil while it is in the car.

There is a huge diference between the driver side motor mount on a 1g and the one on a 2g. The one on the 1g wraps around to the front of the motor and that is why he is wondering how he is supposed to drill out that hole. The best thing you can do is to support the engine and remove the motor mount and the motor mount bracket in order to get to that hole. You have to remove a handful of items in order to do so but there is no other way to do a helicoil while it is in the car.

Sorry I forgot to specify that this was on my first DSM, a 90 GST.

Sorry to reopen a dead thread but im in the same situation!! While installing my 16g The hole closest to the cam gears on the bottem (hardest one to get too) on the head had striped!! Im not sure what i all have to do to helicoil this but it seems a pain in the a** Do I really have to remove all alot of stuff!!

I have a 90 tsi awd and its stock except a aftermarket boost gauge and i have a pocketlogger setup. My problem begins with the boost, I am not getting any at all. So I checked for leaks with a tester and found one at the throttle body and thats all that i could find. I then heard that I should check to see if I am leaking exhaust gas from my manifold. Turns out that the two top right holes and the bottom right hole in the head is stripped. I was then advised to try and use jb weld, that did not work. So I found that I should try and use a helicoil, but from what I have read, I have to drill out the hole first. Drilling out the bottom right hole and using the helicoil seems impossible because of the motor mount sticking out in front of the head. Could anybody give me some advice as to how I should solve this problem. thanks

This doesnt sound like your no boost problem. Check to see if the wastegate is attached.. This happened to the flapper. This happened to me and i got no boost

This doesnt sound like your no boost problem. Check to see if the wastegate is attached.. This happened to the flapper. This happened to me and i got no boost

I agree that the WG should be inspected as well. But I think that he should also fix the stripped mani studs. The more you work on your car, the more you love it (the car, not necessarily the work).:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back