The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

exhaust manifold studs broke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

636chris

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
philadelphia, Pennsylvania
whats up guys. ill make a long story short i just got another talon with the motor and trans pulled ,so last night i was cleaning the engine to get ready to put a new head gasket and arp's in before it goes in the car(preventative maintenance) and i noticed two stud holes are tapped out slightly bigger and one still has a stud broken off in it .

so what are my options (cheapest possible) . can i just drill and tap for a slightly bigger size, or drill it out and helicoil the holes . im stuck in a sh*tty situation right now and i really don't have the time or money to get another head or take it to a machine shop but its rather be safe than sorry , im worried i might have to get another head and i doubt anyone would buy this one for around the same going price around here

yeah its broke off flush. so you saying i possibly have a seven bolt head? i know the bottom end its a 6 bolts how would i check the head?

Use a 21/64" drill bit, then helicoil it with m8x1.25. Then you'll be set

yeah its broke off flush. so you saying i possibly have a seven bolt head? i know the bottom end its a 6 bolts how would i check the head?

It was a generalization I made. Might not be accurate since I just checked two motors I have in the garage and one is definitely a 6 bolt and has nine 8mm studs. The other motor I just pulled out has seven 8mm studs and two larger ones. It also is a 6 bolt motor from what I know but I have yet to pull the trans to confirm it.

mines definalty all six bolt i think where gonna tap out the screwed up holes for a bigger size thread . more work than i wanted on top of hunting down the trans bolts and everything else to putthe motor trans and t case back in

Where are the two larger stud holes located?

One is located on the lower left hand side ( if your standing in front of the engine). The others ill have to look when I get home from class.

I would just drill it out and heli-coil it back to stock size, I've done it numerous times without issue. No matter what you do, be absolutely certain you don't drill too deep and go through a water jacket or something worse. An easy way is to just take some tape and mark your drill bit at the depth you want.

Thanks for the quick replys . Ill have at it this weekend . I'm still waiting on a head gasket and timing Belt ,so ill do it when the head comes off(not to mention I gotta figure out where bolts go to put te motor and trans in) wish me luck 50 Degrees this weekend

If you have, or have access to a welder I would try the nut trick. Take a nut of similar size to the stud. Press the nut to the head with a pair of pliers and zap a good bead in there. Let it cool a little and work it back and forth slowly.

That sounds a lil skechy to me man LOL thanks for the suggestion tho

What do u mean 30 3/8 nuts and six sticks LOL

I put the 3/8 nut on top the broken stud and weled. time I was done I had used 30 nuts, and 6 arc welding rods.

gotcha . ill give that a try luckly i only got one to take out and counting that one 3 to helicoil

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back