1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Broken exhaust manifold stud

Posted by Dewayne Waldron, Jan 23, 2010

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Dewayne Waldron

Dewayne Waldron Proven Member

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    Salem, Virginia
    Ok, I broke one of the studs off inside the head. When I started to drill into the stud I got a .25 of an inch inside the stud and dbroke the bit off inside the stud :banghead:. I'm beyond pissed at this point. And this was all after putting the head back on. What should I do ?

516  0

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 1G DSM
  2. whe3ls

whe3ls Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2008
    spokane, Washington
  3. SrKegler

SrKegler Proven Member

Joined Feb 29, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Or weld a bolt onto the stud and pull it out that way.

4. Dewayne Waldron

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    Salem, Virginia
    It's probably too far inside the head to do that. Plus, I don't know anyone with a dc welder.

516  0

· 1G DSM
  5. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2007
    San Jose, California
    That's a joke, no one ever does that. Just use a drill extractor. It's not that complicated.

post-25947-1254515672.jpg

822  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. Achelea

Achelea Proven Member

Joined Jun 3, 2008
    Mt Vernon, Illinois
    I have a similar problem. Except the bolt broke off, and apparently it cracked the head as well, and now you can't JB weld the head on the exhaust manifold side. >.<

723  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2007
    San Jose, California
    Just use the drill extractor to get the studs out and if it's cracked on the inside than use the heli coil to recoil the thread pattern.

822  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. Achelea

Achelea Proven Member

Joined Jun 3, 2008
    Mt Vernon, Illinois
    I called my mechanic and he said he pulled the bolt. I just went and looked at it... The head is actually broken off on that bolt. Like who ever had the head off before dropped it on the stud. Not cracked, but broken all the way in. The threaded bore is partially exposed.

I need a new head... this one is on the way out.

723  0

manual · 1G DSM
  9. Dewayne Waldron

Joined Apr 5, 2009
    Salem, Virginia
    And I thought I had problems.

516  0

· 1G DSM
  10. Achelea

Achelea Proven Member

Joined Jun 3, 2008
    Mt Vernon, Illinois
    :) Glad to give ya perspective.

723  0

manual · 1G DSM
  11. turbo addict

turbo addict Proven Member

Joined Apr 17, 2005
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I had the same problem a long time ago. I had a broken exhaust stud and then broke extractor in the head also. It was too far to get anything on it.

Here is what I did and it really worked well.
    Get a dremel and a very small diamond bit, try to get variable speed dremel and take it slow. This bit was hard enough to eat out the extractor and stud and make a hole far enough in to get a better extractor in and get it out. Make the hole good sized and use a high quality extractor once you clean the stud out.

This does work, it does take time and patience. Do not get excited and go to town on it. I managed to not mess up the head at all! slow and steady!!

PS, if you never want to do this again, get the arp stainless exhaust studs. I have had these for 4 or 5 years and have taken them off many times and they are in the same shape as new, they do not give you any trouble at all. truely a great product. They ARE worth the money.

12. darren

darren Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    Inola, Oklahoma
    Yep...I couldn't agree more.

Grab a set here and don't screw around with anything else. We've used these for the past 8 years...never had to kill part of a day to extract a broken one.

:thumb:

mannystudkit.jpg

www.ffwdconnection.com/ssstudkits.shtml

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  13. TJCTalon

TJCTalon Proven Member

Joined Aug 20, 2009
    Aurora, Colorado
    +1

When i broke a bolt in my head i just replaced them all with arp ss hardware. I have nothing to worry about :)

942  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.400 @ 142.051 · 2G DSM