The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G EVO X Steering Wheel on 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzot

Probationary Member
Mar 30, 2007
São Paulo, South_America
I´m thinking about installing a EVO X Steering wheel on a 2G, do you guys know if it´s possible? I would like to keep the airbag also.

Thanks,

Enzo

Yes it is..its a direct bolt on..i have a friend who did it

Attachments

• received_832329126943273.jpeg
    received_832329126943273.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 808
I know the evo wheel is a common swap, what other wheels are direct swaps as well? I thought the Evo wheel needed an adaptor, i had one a few years ago and i thought it had a hub adaptor (im probably wrong, though there are many differences with the X )Personally I dont like the look of the wheel in a DSM since it doesn't really match the styling. Un I saw a cool wheel on a ralliart in the junkyard but it would've looked ridiculous without the matchi seats

Yes it is..its a direct bolt on..i have a friend who did it

Is the air bag hooked up? I'm thinking about changing my steering wheel but I will not use one without an airbag and rely on the factory seat belt to save me. And I'm hesitant to put in a roll bar and get a 4-point harness simply to run an aftermarket steering wheel as my back seat is still used by my children occasionally.

I am not sure if the airbag plug is the same as a 2g. But if not you would need the connector from the car so it would match. I know on the evo 8 wheel the plugs are different and there are resisters in there to make sure the values are correct. Not sure if it is the same thing for the evo x. But make sure you dont get rid of the airbag not only for safety reasons but you would fail inspections as well. The evo x wheel just looks big in my opinion. The evo 8 wheel has a much nicer feel than the 2g wheel.

I'm interested in a change because my 2G wheel is showing its age and a smaller wheel would feel better for autocross. I think the evo 8 wheel is better but the research I did lead me to believe that the evo 8 airbag would not function in a 2G so if the evoX airbag works that wheel might be an option. Or I could just spend $300 on a new 2g wheel but then my steering wheel would still be huge.

I did the evo ix steering wheel swap in my old 99 gsx, steering felt 10x's better with the ix steering wheel. The 2g oem wheel felt like I was driving a bus. Lol That's my next mod for the new spyder.

Is the x steering wheel the same size as 8/9 steering wheel?

The 1995-2005 Diamante wheel is a direct swap. Mine came from a 2003 VRX. The only mod I did to it was I took off the diamante cruise control switches since they were different, and installed the DSM switch. Airbag and horn connections were identical. Although the airbag connections are the same, the airbag covers are not. They look the same in shape, but they are a little different.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm interested in a change because my 2G wheel is showing its age and a smaller wheel would feel better for autocross. I think the evo 8 wheel is better but the research I did lead me to believe that the evo 8 airbag would not function in a 2G so if the evoX airbag works that wheel might be an option. Or I could just spend $300 on a new 2g wheel but then my steering wheel would still be huge.
Where did you resesrch the airbag wont work?

I had the evo 8 wheel and i hooked up the airbag and it showed no faults and i believe it was to be working correctly, never set any lights off and from what i researched before doing it they worked from other members,
If your affraid the evo 8/9 wheels wont work then the X wont either then, since both are not made directly for ur cars,

Also if you have childeren and concerned about them then i would not consider doing anything else to the car, roll bars can have padding so it can be somewhat safe, but old cars dont need airbags anyway and i bet you sit far enogh away to never even hit it, if seated correctly 80% of the time you dont hit the bag, i know when i had an accident i was well clear of it plus i braced in time aswell to help prevent any jolting so airbags are not always great and helpful but mostly more dangerous then good,

The 1995-2005 Diamante wheel is a direct swap. Mine came from a 2003 VRX. The only mod I did to it was I took off the diamante cruise control switches since they were different, and installed the DSM switch. Airbag and horn connections were identical. Although the airbag connections are the same, the airbag covers are not. They look the same in shape, but they are a little different.

Looks sweet I want that steering wheel:thumb:

Where did you resesrch the airbag wont work?

I had the evo 8 wheel and i hooked up the airbag and it showed no faults and i believe it was to be working correctly, never set any lights off and from what i researched before doing it they worked from other members,
If your affraid the evo 8/9 wheels wont work then the X wont either then, since both are not made directly for ur cars,

Also if you have childeren and concerned about them then i would not consider doing anything else to the car, roll bars can have padding so it can be somewhat safe, but old cars dont need airbags anyway and i bet you sit far enogh away to never even hit it, if seated correctly 80% of the time you dont hit the bag, i know when i had an accident i was well clear of it plus i braced in time aswell to help prevent any jolting so airbags are not always great and helpful but mostly more dangerous then good,

I did some searching on here just a few weeks ago and found threads with mixed reviews on the functionality of the airbag. And for the roll bar, I usually don't have my children in this car but sometimes my 8 year old rides in a booster seat in the back when she wants to hear the turbo and have fun, my youngest (1) has never been in the car as a rear facing car seat doesn't even really fit in the back of a 2G. If I did a rill bar with harness bar then my back seat would be off limits to anyone and my 8 year old is only 50lbs so she can not legally ride in the front seat yet.

I'm glad to hear that you got it working, did you document the install at all? I would love to check it out.

I did some searching on here just a few weeks ago and found threads with mixed reviews on the functionality of the airbag. And for the roll bar, I usually don't have my children in this car but sometimes my 8 year old rides in a booster seat in the back when she wants to hear the turbo and have fun, my youngest (1) has never been in the car as a rear facing car seat doesn't even really fit in the back of a 2G. If I did a rill bar with harness bar then my back seat would be off limits to anyone and my 8 year old is only 50lbs so she can not legally ride in the front seat yet.

I'm glad to hear that you got it working, did you document the install at all? I would love to check it out.
Sure do http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/evo-steering-wheel-conversion-with-evo-adapter.468145/

I didnt know your weight limits for front seat use, we have heights here instead of weight but i find its a stupid rule really.

I know this thread is titled EVO X but there has been talk about other wheels and options so I figured I would post here. I just installed the Evo IX steering wheel using the adapter made by @2slow4now. I PM'd him and it costed $60 for the hub adapter and to have him install it in the steering wheel structure. Install was a breeze and I even wired in the airbag (yes I know the risks) and no SRS light! Well worth the $200 for this complete upgrade!

Last edited:
I know this thread is titled EVO X but there has been talk about other wheels and options so I figured I would post here. I just installed the Evo IX steering wheel using the adapter made by @2slow4now. I PM'd him and it costed $60 for the hub adapter and to have him install it in the steering wheel structure. Install was a breeze and I even wired in the airbag (yes I know the risks) and no SRS light! Well worth the $200 for this complete upgrade!

Hi !!! installation completed but the EVO X wire its a 4 wire, 2 yellow and 2 red, and the 2G there´s only 2.

Any idea how to hook up ?

You're most likely going to need to look up the information yourself. Nobody here will be able to tell you that. The 4 wires means it's a dual charge airbag. One set for low impact and the other medium. Both together for high. It's entirely up to you which you want to wire up(or bridge them) and the risk you're willing to take.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back