The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

EVO ECU Ecuflash and 2G Eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gnow2g

Probationary Member
Jan 9, 2007
longmont, Colorado
Here is my stupid newbie question:

I really like the idea of using an EcuFlash and an EVO ECU
on my 2G GSX. In my mind it seams like it would be easier
than bolting on controls to "correct" the 2G ECU. I was looking
at the pin-out differences between the EVO ECU and the 2G ECU.
There are some differences, and I assume that there are
also some sensor differences, like maybe the MDP. The question
is, has anyone actually done this, that is, mated and open
ECU compliant EVO ECU to a 2G Eclipse?

Thanks

Background: I purchased a 1G 1990 Eclipse GST, at 2 years old,
and drove it for 170K miles, until it was retried by a crash.
I test drove several 3G Eclipses, but was not satisfied with
the performance, so purchased a 2G GSX as a replacement. I am
not quite happy with the 2G performance, and will be doing some
-minor- engine modifications. So I have been trying to learn more
about the 4g63. I think that this question has been ask, but
no one has stated yes or no.

If you want something that you don't really have to tune with check out DSMChips.com. I am running his stage 3 and it is awesome. For the price you can't beat it. Just over $300 for a EPROM ECU and complete tune. I just have an old school 5 knob AFC for fine tuning which I don't even need.

I know this is an old post but he has a valid point. I have just purchased EVOScan for my 98 GST. It is quite a piece of logging software. The Evo guys use the same cable used for this data logging software to pull the image off of their ECU with ECUflash. They then alter the image to fit their needs and upload it back to the ECU. I have read of guys pulling the image from their 2G (98-99 plastic) ECU with ECUFlash, but nobody has successfully updated and uploaded the image. This is what I thought the DSM boards were all about. Messing with your car finding new ways to hack into the fuel and ignition controls in order to get maximum performance.

I'm not sure who said it can't be done, because it can, and has been done.
Not that I know how or anything, but I'd like to explore the idea too. I see ECUFlash as the new way for 2g's. There is already a discussion thread going in the Newbie Section about the topic, and there is also more information in the ECUFlash forums.

Well, I used ECUflash on my EVO and it was pretty user friendly. I just picked up an EVO 8ECU and ordered a patch harness, and am going to try to install it in the near future. I know there are some pinout differences, which is why I'm getting the patch harness. If it is successful, I'll be able to run ECUflash in my 2G with a total cost of $200.

well i also heard you can use a 2g ecu on a evo8-9 and tune it with the dsmlink
software.let us know how it goes and good luck:thumb:

Maybe with an 8 it might be possible but you would lose all MIVEC control trying to use a 2g ECU in a 9.

Well, I was able to download my ROM last night using the new 1.38 version of ecuflash. If someone knows how to read it, I can e-mail it to them. I couldn't change the parameters, so I don't know if the write capability is there yet.

Well, I was able to download my ROM last night using the new 1.38 version of ecuflash. If someone knows how to read it, I can e-mail it to them. I couldn't change the parameters, so I don't know if the write capability is there yet.

i can read it for you and see if i can make changes and post a screen shot on here if you'd like.

a got question while im at it.....anybody know if you have to modify the cam angle sensor on a 95 to make it work with the evo ecu? (since it's on the actual cam gear not the back of the head? might be a noob question but im new to DSM 4g63's)

RRE got it to successfully work on a 2g and are working on a kit to sell. If you're interested in running an Evo ECU on your 2g, hit them up and show some interest to encourage them to get this nifty project out there.

RRE got it to successfully work on a 2g and are working on a kit to sell. If you're interested in running an Evo ECU on your 2g, hit them up and show some interest to encourage them to get this nifty project out there.

Please do! I have an EVO 8 ECU and will hopefully be putting it in soon.

Because 500+ is a scary number to some people and they'd prefer a cheaper solution. It could probably be had for way cheaper than a SAFC and logger setup while it's tuning capabilities land closer to a product like DSMLink. It definitely looks appealing to those on budget builds.

Just talked to Sam at RRE and he said that this is very likely and they're working on it right now. Few more things have to be ironed out but it looks good :D

if the price is fair it'll save me the hassle of reading diagrams and trying to figure it out myself.:thumb:

Very interesting ,i have sucessfully swapped an 01 evo7 ecu into a 95 evo3 with only a few ecu pinout changes and wired in an obd 2 socket for flashing /logging, no engine sensors were changed and still uses stock injectors.
I think thats similar to your 1g also my own 96 evo4 has been running on a 7 ecu for nearly two years again the pinouts are similar to your 2g , you can also have Tephra mod via ECUFLASH features switchable maps /launch control/flash cel on knock/valet mode/auto intercooler spray and high speed logging with evoscan.

Well, I used ECUflash on my EVO and it was pretty user friendly. I just picked up an EVO 8ECU and ordered a patch harness, and am going to try to install it in the near future. I know there are some pinout differences, which is why I'm getting the patch harness. If it is successful, I'll be able to run ECUflash in my 2G with a total cost of $200.

Where did you get this patch harness. Right now the only thing holding me back is finding some OEM connectors to do the swap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back