The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

General EPROM ECU question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I used a Mill-Max socket to solder mine. The part number is 110-13-628-41-001 (thanks Steve) You should be able to do a search on that part number from Newark or Mouser or whomever you order electronics from. I use Mouser myself all the time; they're fast, and ordering a quantity of 1 is cheaper for a majority of products.

danl said:
Or you can treat yourself really good and spring $5 more for a ZIF socket that plugs into the solderable socket. That way swapping chips out is safe and easy. I buy from www.moates.net because they have all the parts I need in one easy to buy location.

ZIF sockets are great (and super convenient) for computer processors, but bad for cars considering all the vibration that takes place through the chassis. I was interested in these before I socketed my processor but everyone said absolutely do not buy a ZIF socket because of the danger of the contacts breaking contact with the EPROM. That would be bad.
It's PROBABLY okay, but not something you want to take a chance on.

karbon said:
ZIF sockets are great (and super convenient) for computer processors, but bad for cars considering all the vibration that takes place through the chassis. I was interested in these before I socketed my processor but everyone said absolutely do not buy a ZIF socket because of the danger of the contacts breaking contact with the EPROM. That would be bad.
It's PROBABLY okay, but not something you want to take a chance on.

Ok I'll keep that in mind because I've been using a ZIF socket in my car for about 10,000 miles now and 100 or so chip changes since I burn my own. I'll let my friend know as well because he's been using the same ZIF in his CRX for about 3 years and who knows how many thousands of miles and chip changes since I burn him new chips as well. I'll also be sure to give all the GM guys a heads up as well.

No need to be sarcastic, what karbon said is absolutly true, the ZIF sockets are not rated for this application but as you have noted they work fine for guy who is changing chips often and whould notice if it has started to shift in the socket. The cheap sockets like you would find at Radio Shack are also not rated for use in applications that experence vibration and shock loading. The machined pin socket is the best option for people who rarely swap chips.

Stev

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back