The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

General EPROM Ecu question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0GuitarKid0o

Proven Member
Dec 12, 2013
Winnipeg ,MB, MB_Canada
Picked this bad boy up (pictures below) for 70

It's a MD193300 (auto ECU) EPROM ECU already socketed
The number on the plastic connector to the ECU is 0882E

Now what do you guys think, Apparently the idle when the ECU is installed is brutal and that's all I know at this moment.

Who ever did the cap replacement should be shot tbh, very bad soldering job
I've double checked the capacitance of the capacitor for the 100 uF capacitor I'm getting 109 uF.
For the 22 uF cap I'm getting 22.x uF.
For the 47 uF cap I'm getting 80.x uF.
For the pz628 capacitor I'm getting 21uF.
For the green rectangle caps I'm getting between 2.3 uF-2.4 uF for all 4.

There looks to be a tiny bit of corrosion on the E538 board beside (to the left of) the green rectangle capacitors but nothing crazy

The ISC drivers (black rectangles under the green capacitors) are in excellent condition

The chip socket was soldered in correctly and I've double checked for bad solder joints and broken connections (I traced each one)

Chips look to be fine (no bubbles or bad smells or cracks )

No corrosion on the rectifiers

No Broken pins

Any suggestions ?
Are these caps in spec ?

Let's just say I'm researching ways I can use this ECU into a turbo Laser with an NA engine (burning my own chips and re writing the hex code from an NA onto a chip I can edit so I can tune my non turbo) please any suggestions welcome

My biggest barrier is the knock board although I do have a knock sensor kicking around and every connection a turbo vehicle has.

Anyone here know anyone with schematics of the ECU I have?
I've already checked out DSM-ECU on yahoo.

If this works out I'm going to get my EPROM TCU socketed and burn a chip for that also but let's not get ahead here LOL

The 20th pin on the chip looks iffy but I get a connection when I test it

Any test pages for these ECUs? Like specs and tolerances?
I'm experienced enough to solder just need a new iron again that's has variable wattage.

When I have time I'm going to use my other 2 spare ECUs (ones a turbo manual non EPROM and ones an turbo auto non EPROM) to check for issues with this ECU I bought

Thanks for reading hoping to try an get some credit for us NA people LOL

I own a 1991 Plymouth Laser RS turbo that has an non-turbo engine in it. I can easily plug in my resister pack and use my 390 cc injectors (low impedence)
And I'd buy an adjustable FPR and possibly a wide band
I'm using a turbo MAF and transmission (stock)
Hell I still have the turbo gauge cluster LOL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everywhere you see brown or green rough copper instead of shiny copper you have corrosion. The electrolyte from the old capacitors eats away at the copper and creates all sorts of problems. It also looks like someone was poking into the goo that normally covers the chip on the knock board so it made have been damaged.

I've never seen any real schematics for the ECU although I'm sure there are some somewhere. Most of the people I know of have traced out the circuits and reversed engineered their own set.

Your numbers seem to match a MD193300 from a 93 Federal AT turbo AWD would have had a E2T60882 board in it and had the EA02 EPROM software.

I not sure what your trying to do with the NA engine in your car so I can't make any suggestions regarding the ECU other than you should clean up all the corrosion and poor soldering from before.

(I changed the title, these are EPROM ECUs not EEPROM.)

1st link is a good one I've went threw their entire site LOL
I hadn't seen the second link so thanks helps with checking the drivers!

Everywhere you see brown or green rough copper instead of shiny copper you have corrosion. The electrolyte from the old capacitors eats away at the copper and creates all sorts of problems. It also looks like someone was poking into the goo that normally covers the chip on the knock board so it made have been damaged.

I've never seen any real schematics for the ECU although I'm sure there are some somewhere. Most of the people I know of have traced out the circuits and reversed engineered their own set.

Your numbers seem to match a MD193300 from a 93 Federal AT turbo AWD would have had a E2T60882 board in it and had the EA02 EPROM software.

I not sure what your trying to do with the NA engine in your car so I can't make any suggestions regarding the ECU other than you should clean up all the corrosion and poor soldering from before.

(I changed the title, these are EPROM ECUs not EEPROM.)

Damn sorry haha I thought you could erase them electrically so yes eprom LOL not eeprom

And yes I see a tiny bit of the green (corrosion) not as bad as the pictures on the ECM link wiki but I'm sure I can clean it up

Do you recommend any products? I think the person used alcohol on the back to clean it and never put a protectant on it.

I've slowly been going over the ECU with my multi meter lookin for cracked traces ect .

One of the capacitors are not in spec, at least it seems that way.
I won't be able to confirm that until I find time to grab my other 2 turbo ECUs and use that as a reference

It would be nice to have schematics so I have a map but I guess I can always just make one

If anything I would like to document some things on here so others have something to diagnose there ECUs with at the very least .

I still want to try an tune a non turbo engine with eprom chips because it's suppose to be impossible due to differences of turbo and non turbo ECU and wiring like resister pack ect .

Why you may ask? Because it hasn't been done with eprom chips on non turbos and i would like to be able get a better over all running car that I can make changes to and account for it without going aftermarket

The knock board does have it's goo coming out and has me worried but I'm not at that part yet since I have no idea how the ECU will react to an non turbo chip anyways

I'm wondering if there's any benefit to run larger injectors like 390 cc auto low impedance injectors on an nt that can actually tune the injectors in.

Well found some spare time and decided to tackle this ecu ,
Pictures contain the repairs ,

Scratching the non turbo part of this ecu and using it in my "back to turbo" build if it checks out .

Hopefully the knock board is fine with out goo . Any one know what the goo is ?

Board is cleaning up nicely still some work left !

For the traces I used a hammer to flatten the smallest wire I have lying around .

If this was a virgin ecu my soldering would of been alot better but this is the best she will be for now . Love fixing others mistakes. They even drilled the capacitor holes bigger

I replaced the replacement caps also LOL

Attachments

• IMAG0217-1140x2016.jpg
    IMAG0217-1140x2016.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0220-2016x1140.jpg
    IMAG0220-2016x1140.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0226-1140x2016.jpg
    IMAG0226-1140x2016.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0219-1140x2016.jpg
    IMAG0219-1140x2016.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0227-1140x2016.jpg
    IMAG0227-1140x2016.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0230-1140x2016.jpg
    IMAG0230-1140x2016.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
As you all can see I've got many project ecus minus the nt ecus since I've tested and fixed them all already,
minus an eprom tcu that's got a blown proccesor .
Plan on atleast posting more about these in the future after my 6 bolts ready to drop in.
Anyone who wants to chime in now's the time .
We need more ecu repair threads !

PS got abit of copper tape for traces finnaly

Attachments

• IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 62
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back