1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

English Racing Oil pump pulley and timing marks

Posted by willyp42, Oct 1, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. willyp42

willyp42 Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Hey everyone,
    I am trying to time my engine with English racing oil pump pulley and i can't get the cam and crank timing marks to align,

if my theory is right shouldn't the crank be slightly above the timing mark due to the circumference difference?
    if i move it one more tooth below it moves way under the timing mark.
    i guess it isnt the greatest picture but my cams are in time here.

-Will

Attached Files:

2. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Did you adjust for the 2 degrees, as written on the pulley itself?

3. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    What is up with that home made crank pulley bolt? Can’t imagine that would be good for harmonics or balance

134  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. willyp42

willyp42 Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    it is my very rough, degree wheel bolt.
    i haven't dialed in my cams yet i am just wondering if the timing marks should line up or not.

5. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you don't have adjustable cam gears to compensate for the 2*, they alignment won't be correct. Past that, you should be referring to normal 4G63 cam timing issues that don't relate to the oil pump gear.

6. willyp42

willyp42 Proven Member

Joined Sep 28, 2016
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    HI CD9A,
    I think you are misunderstanding my question.
    I have AEM adjustable cams however, phasing the cams does not change the timing marks.

my question is.
    Will my timing marks always be off because of the larger oil pump gear is my question.

-Will

7. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    Is your OIL pressure that high you really need to subtract 10% off the total? And would that fix your problem...NO. There are multiple ways to lower oil pressure than using an under drive pump such as slotting the big end of the rods, porting the oil filter housing, etc.

Did you talk to English about how to time it? Cam degreeing WILL NOT fix the problem, now that I think about I am not sure how that part would work without screwing up cam/crank timing. Put it back to stock and move on.

Street Build 227  5

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM