The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Engine wont turn, replaced timing belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

code2k5

Probationary Member
Apr 1, 2012
Greenfield, California
The timing belt broke on my 90 eclipse gs turbo and bent the valves. I got the head repaired and all new valves and a new water pump and timing belt. I got it all put back together and when i tried to turn the engine by hand it will only turn about 180 and then it gets hard. The engine did turn freely without the head so im wondering if my timing is off or could it be bad camshafts? The cams are still the original cams so im thinking when the valves got bent they might have been damaged also? I would greatly appreciate any help i can get, thanks.

Double check your timing. Make sure all marks line up and that the cam dowel pins are facing up.

I would lay money one of the cam gear dowels is facing down. DO NOT FORCE IT TO TURN! If you do you will be replacing the valves again and as you already know that isn't cheap. Do like stated above and double check your timing marks.

Yea, a piston coming up just pushing up on a valve that is down will bend the valve stem quite easily being the valve stem is on an angle-no support on the stem when exposed when on an angle.

It's like bending a nail.

Do you have your spark plugs in? If your timing marks are all lined up and you have the plugs in when it compresses it gets pretty hard to turn, then it will turn fine again. Every time its on the compression stroke it will do that, and it requires a good deal more pressure. However if your spark plugs are not in, stop. recheck.

As the newbie that I am at replacing timing belts I was so worried about having the timing correct on the cams that I didn't set the timing correctly on the crank. I am currently putting it all back together but between work and my wife and kids I don't have much time to work on it but i'm hoping i'll be able to finish it tomorrow after work. Thanks to everyone your opinion and guidance

good job with slowing down and looking into it and not forcing anything congrats on finding your own mistake and not redoing another head let us know how it turns out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back