The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G wont start after new timing belt install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dszx13

Probationary Member
Jan 13, 2010
minden, Louisiana
installed new timing belt and balance shaft belt an it wont crank. made sure the #1 piston was at tdc, all timing is lined up right. gettin fuel an spark in all wires. wandering if anyone can help me out. first attempt to do this

if the pistons were moving when the belt broke, you bent valves..... maybe just enough to crack them of the seat. but bent all the same.
just eyeballing the springs will not tell you if the valves are bent or not...

a compression or leak down test will....

I personally have not seen ag63 engine that the belt broke and the valves did not bend.

if your lucky, you may not have cracked the valve guides.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341218-how-change-valve-guides-4g63t-head.html

If the TB broke at 20mph, then one or more of your valves bent. Easiest way to check would be to remove the timing and balance shaft belts, pull the valve cover and slowly rotate the intake and exhaust cams by hand. If you see any hint of pitting on the cams, then whichever valve the pittings associated with has bent. Take the head to a good machine shop. Chances are it can be machined and be reuseable. Good Luck.

Just advice dont order one on ebay. I did that for a civic I had when I broke a belt and the head was not in the condition he said it was in and I spent more money trying to fix the head I got then if I would have just put new valve in. Just take the head to a machine shop and tell them you broke a belt and you want to replace the bent valves.

it usally better to fix what you have, then buy a replacement.

now would be the time to drop in a set of stainless valves, and some springs....
it will give you a good base to build around.

if you decide to build your head let me know and Ill send you some more posts of what to look for and have done. (if you serch you will find it yourself)

I have said the same thing in may posts where the guys have bent valve issues.

im kinda on a strict budget. LOL i work in a horse barn. so if yall dont mind jus make a list of what i should get would help me alot an ill get what i need over time. thanks for helping me!

If you ARE feeling lazy and just want to buy a complete head that is ready to go, make sure to buy a head that has been freshly machined and has NOT been installed since the machine work was done.

I have a couple core heads that I was going to get rebuilt, but decided I just wanted to get the car on the road as easily as possible, so I bought a head that was freshly machined that already had the valves and springs installed.

If you want to go cheap then I would take the head to a machine shop and tell them you have bent valves and you want to replace only the bent ones and get all new valve seals.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back