The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

engine knocks when started

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usually? Yes, a rod bearing is bad. Main is possible too and would make an even deeper "thumping" sound.
Post a video and that will help people to diagnose it better.

Impossible for any one on this broad to diagnose. Pull the pan and check it out.

A video would be great, I never had a engine knock before, and Ive had a few dsms, and plenty of vehicles.

^LOL, hey, i guess ya never know right? Sure would be nice for the OP. I know the gut wrenching feeling you get when you hear rod knock. Not fun. OP rev to 3k rpm in neutral and tell me if the sound is much louder or more noticeable. 3k is like the magic rpm for rod knock detection. When mine started knocking i never let it get to the point where i could hear it at idle, only at ~3k rpm was it noticeable. Then again, my bearing was not spun. A crank knock is a distinct "thumping", not a knocking. Never heard crank knock in a dsm but have heard in other 4cyl engines.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back