The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

electric oil pressure gauge install [Merged 7-7] installation hookup wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z32

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2005
Chicopee, Massachusetts
I got an Autometer short sweep electric oil pressure gauge that I'm installing in my car right now. I have all the wires inside my car but i don't know where to connect them to, can anyone please help?

You Should Sell The Gauge And Get A Electric One It Only Cost Like 45-50 Bux. You Really Don't Want And Kind Of Fluid Running Into The Car. As For The Lights Just Run Wires Into The Fuse Box Near The Kick Panel.

ECLIPSEGST25 said:
You Should Sell The Gauge And Get A Electric One It Only Cost Like 45-50 Bux. You Really Don't Want And Kind Of Fluid Running Into The Car. As For The Lights Just Run Wires Into The Fuse Box Near The Kick Panel.

But electrial guages fail all the time. You can buy a copper hose kit so you wont leak fluid all over your car.

electrical vs mechanical oil gauge has been debated over and over. No need to do it agian.

eclipx said:
then your problem is that the gauges are ALWAYS lit up, which will burn out the bulbs over time.

That is why I said the orange wire. It is a signal wire that is used on some vehicles to dim the radio when the lights are on. It is not used in our cars so it is perfect for the pwer source to any kind of interior light you wish to use when the lights are turned on.

Your right I shouldn't have said anything. It's like beating a dead horse, I guess it's personal preferance.

kottyking said:
Your right I shouldn't have said anything. It's like beating a dead horse, I guess it's personal preferance.
No, its fine you said it, I just figured we didnt need another big debate. I agree with you actually and I have a mechanical gauge with the orgional nylon tube:shhh: damn it, here i go, contributing to a nice debate anyways.

You can tap into the stock sending unit. There is also a bolt plugging a hole you can use(need an allen wrench to remove) or you can use the hole for the dummy light. here's a pic.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

normally i just take out the stock sender and screw it in their.

is your guage mechanical or electronic?

I put mine in the stock turbo feed line, which is from the head, because i have no where else to put it because I'm using the FP filter with fp3065 turbo which should be from the oil pan insted of the head for more pressure.

My question I changed my oil pump to a new one but I still see low oil pressure in my Defi gauge, it shows about 2.4 bar at WOT and about 2 bar at Cold start and then get less than 1 bar at idle after the warm up, I have no balance shaft and my engine is totaly new, I don't know if tapping the oil pressure senor in the head would make it less pressure!

Please let me know what I think, the reason I ask because I have no oil pressure in my Mitsubishi Colt GTI, it's swapped with 2.32 4g63 block!

Thanks

Eclipsethis90 said:
The only problem i forsee with this is that fact that after installing that spacer, the oil filter would be even closer to the DP/o2 housing:barf: . No thanks.

I took the stock sending unit out and put the sending unit for the gauge right back in there. It works perfectly. The stock sending unit was bad in the first place so I had no need for it to stay in there. It's makes the install very easy.

The only problem with pulling those allen head bolts out are they are a pain to break loose. Make sure that you have the right size allen socket for it because you do not want to round those off. I actually pulled one of those fittings (whichever one is filtered) for my oil feed line and I was amazed at how tight that fitting was. I actually broke two socket wrenches trying to get them out. One was a Kobalt and the other was a Snap-on so they weren't crap tools but they broke like twigs when I put a breaker bar on them trying to get that bolt out.

The only problem with mounting the sender directly to the engine is the vibrations greatly reduce the life expectancy of the sender. Remote mounting it also increases the accuracy of the sender.

ChvyKc said:
The only problem with pulling those allen head bolts out are they are a pain to break loose.

I just did this for my brother yesterday, it was a pain to break those allen bolts loose. The breaker bar got one for me, the other I toughed it out haha:cool:

kahl23 said:
The only problem with mounting the sender directly to the engine is the vibrations greatly reduce the life expectancy of the sender.

Some people agree with this, some don't. I haven't researched much on it. I haven't seen enough proof personally of that being true. The aftermarket sender is MUCH like the stock one anyways.

DSMcrazy3 said:
The aftermarket sender is MUCH like the stock one anyways.

The are identical as far as appearance. I have had no problems with mine and I have had mine the car for over a year now. If I see problems with it then I might move it but until them I see no reason for it. :thumb:

yo ben what is the likelyhood that I look up your thread on how to hook up an oil pressure gauge because i'm getting a few more gauges this week? awesome dude, if you need help putting it in hit me up

ChvyKc said:
I took the stock sending unit out and put the sending unit for the gauge right back in there. It works perfectly. The stock sending unit was bad in the first place so I had no need for it to stay in there. It's makes the install very easy.

The only problem with pulling those allen head bolts out are they are a pain to break loose. Make sure that you have the right size allen socket for it because you do not want to round those off. I actually pulled one of those fittings (whichever one is filtered) for my oil feed line and I was amazed at how tight that fitting was. I actually broke two socket wrenches trying to get them out. One was a Kobalt and the other was a Snap-on so they weren't crap tools but they broke like twigs when I put a breaker bar on them trying to get that bolt out.

do you have any pictures of where the 1g sending unit is? Also sorry for the dumb question, but are you using a mechanical gauge? I'm planning on picking up a mechanical water temp and mechanical oil pressure gauge and I've heard that both can be plugged into the stock sending units.

I'll I know is that the manufacturers suggest remote mounting the sender. That's enough proof for me. Also, gauge sensors are much more sensitive than the idiot light sender.

Tsi_User said:
do you have any pictures of where the 1g sending unit is?

No way did you just ask this...(Assuming I'm reading right...)

Either look at post #2, or here...It's the thing circled farthest to the right labeled Pressure Gauge Sender

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

kahl23 said:
Also, gauge sensors are much more sensitive than the idiot light sender.

Just out of curiosity..Who said they aren't?

Perhaps by being more sensitive the aftermarket sensors are more easily damaged by engine vibration? The directions for my Defi oil pressure gauge said to put it in the pump housing, so I did. I also sent in the warranty card, so if it does fail within the first year I should be covered. I don't drive the car that much though... with school and all. I'll let somebody know if it does fail within the next few months. So far it's showing the same readings it did after I installed it.

Tsi_User said:
do you have any pictures of where the 1g sending unit is?
In that image, the rusty thing in the back on the left is the downpipe. The oily thing in the bottom right is the front of the oil pan.

It's in the same housing where your oil filter is.

Mechanical gauges have lines (tubes) with the fluid flowing to the gauge. If the gauge is going to be mounted in the "passenger area" you'll need to route lines into the car. This is perfectly safe if done correctly... very messy if done wrong and one of the lines fail.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back