1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

electric oil pressure gauge install [Merged 7-7] installation hookup wiring

Posted by Z32, Nov 24, 2005

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Z32

Z32 Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2005
    Chicopee, Massachusetts
    I got an Autometer short sweep electric oil pressure gauge that I'm installing in my car right now. I have all the wires inside my car but i don't know where to connect them to, can anyone please help?

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. justin0469

justin0469 Proven Member

Joined Apr 4, 2003
    san diego, California
  3. GUY

GUY Awaiting Email Verification

Joined Mar 27, 2005
    Springfield, Missouri
    Well I have my boost and oil pressure gauge hooked up and all ready......but the damn nylon hose keeps sliding out of the gauge? I have the ferrule, and the sealing nut but the hose keeps sliding out of the hole in the sealing nut. Don't ever recall having this problem when i hooked up an oil pres. gauge on my galant. I don't wana start my car cause I know the line will pop out and leak oil all in my dash :notgood: So any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    -steve

4. travislaw

travislaw Proven Member

Joined Nov 4, 2005
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Go to jegs.com and buy the autometer gauge copper line kit. It will work better for you and should elminate any hose slippage.

5. mr95gst

mr95gst Probationary Member

Joined Nov 24, 2005
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Makes sure that the lock pointing the right direction small side toward the guage. Then push the nylon line in while you tighten the nut it should collapse on the line. You should be able to pull on the line and it not move. Hope that helps.

6. zachdeagle16

zachdeagle16 Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2004
    coosada, Alabama
    I bought an autometer oil pressure gauge, but the threads that are on the sending unit that came with the gauge are not the same as the ones on my old sending unit. It came with some different size adapters, Can I take out one of the set screws anywhere on my oil filter housing and try installing it with the adapter?

7. megadeth0

megadeth0 Proven Member

Joined May 13, 2004
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Go to a local Auto parts store and buy the pipe fitting to adapt to the right threads. Are you taking the stock sender out completely? Most people just "T" off of it and have both hooked up.:thumb:

DSMcamaro likes this.
  8. Flybiyou

Flybiyou Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2003
    somewhere, Illinois
    You could doit like I did and force the sender to screw in. It worked just fine and I dint have to buy anyother fittings.

9. megadeth0

megadeth0 Proven Member

Joined May 13, 2004
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    :rolleyes:
    Rather than mess up your housing, buy a 2 dollar part.

10. DSMcamaro

DSMcamaro Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    I have the same gauge and I also put a T in where the stock sending unit goes. I got the T from a diferent DSM friend though, so i couldnt exactly tell you where i got it from.

11. turbo90gsx

turbo90gsx Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I don't mean to ruin this thread, but on the topic of oil pressure gauges; I bought a mechanical gauge off a local and I'm wondering were the best place to tap into a pressure passageway is. I'm thinking about just removing the original sending unit (since it seems to be leaking anyway) and just buying a fitting to screw into that to run to the gauge.

475  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.780 @ 131.380 · 1G DSM
  12. kottyking

kottyking Proven Member

Joined Feb 29, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Hopefully nobody is installing a mechanical oil pressure guage in their car.

13. BREW

BREW Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Thats fine, just understand that you are running a high pressure, high heat, oil into the car, so take the necessary precautions (ie. the proper fittings with stainless line). Now I'm not sure of your oil filter housing, water cooled or air cooled, but when I switched to the air cooled filter housing, the tap used for my pressure guage required an odd fitting. If memory serves me correct, I believe it was 28 British Standard Pipe Thread (BSPT). Be sure you get the correct fitting, anything else and it WILL leak. Also make sure you PROPERLY install the stainless line and fitting to the guage.

Do we really need to start that argument....again.

14. RamenPride

RamenPride Proven Member

Joined Aug 18, 2002
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    yes. the holes that are plugged up are 3/8" NPT. the sending unit on the autometer is
    1/8" NPT.

2K  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. 2-0turbo

2-0turbo Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2002
    Lynchburg, Virginia
    Properly done, there is nothing wrong with this. With the exception of larger turbine planes, most airplanes flying have "real" mechanical gauges into the cockpit. But, they don't use that little 1/8" nylon tubing either. Using the right stuff, there is nothing wrong with mechanical gauges in the cockpit.

355  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  16. kottyking

kottyking Proven Member

Joined Feb 29, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Just can't imagine having 200 degree oil spraying all over the inside of my car. Sh it happens, better to be safe then sorry.

17. ddavisaf

ddavisaf Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2005
    Langley AFB, Virginia
    Exactly, better safe than sorry. And electronics go out all the time.
    I'd rather have 200° oil spray on my leg because my *copper* tubing split than to have my car seize due to lack of oil and a electronic oil pressure gauge on the fritz.

18. firehawk

firehawk Proven Member

Joined Oct 17, 2003
    Vandergrift, Pennsylvania
    Heres some news to...Autometer makes a braided kit for the oil pressure guage. Its like 50 dollars or so...but 70+50 = 120...still ALOT less than the electronic guage and for some will give ya peace of mind. :thumb:

19. exiletalon

exiletalon Proven Member

Joined Nov 14, 2005
    Aurora, Colorado
    Where in my engine do I tap for the OIL PRESSURE gauge from autometer? - Where do I get my reading from?
    Also, where is the power fuse behind the gauge cluster that I use to power my gauges lights- located at?
    All guages are the Sport-Comp Autometer mechanical gauges.

20. robs90tsi

robs90tsi Proven Member

Joined Jan 26, 2006
    grayslake, Illinois
    You tap the OP gauge at the oil filter housing. Theres two hex screws, you remove one of those and thread your line into there. Im not sure what you mean by where you get your reading from, but its from your...........well...............oil? Umm, and I dont know what power source you used to tap your other gauges into, I myself used the 12v outlet for power to my gauges, easiest to get to. Hope that helps.:talon:

tibby_boy likes this.
  21. ericbev

ericbev Proven Member

Joined Oct 18, 2004
    Coal City, Illinois

356  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.815 @ 92.230 · 2G DSM
    tibby_boy likes this.
  22. exiletalon

exiletalon Proven Member

Joined Nov 14, 2005
    Aurora, Colorado
    Where is this (12v) located, is it easy to get to and use??

23. robs90tsi

robs90tsi Proven Member

Joined Jan 26, 2006
    grayslake, Illinois
    YESSSS, finally a wiseman who backs a mechanical OP gauge, well at least the first Ive seen, I trust actual oil pressure provided by a mechanical rather than an electrical one, which you never REALLY know if its working properly, unless you test the OP.

24. 91gsx_turbo

91gsx_turbo Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2006
    West Jordan, Utah
    Buy a test light and poke around

25. Marc91GSX

Marc91GSX Proven Member

Joined Jan 20, 2006
    Apopka, Florida
    Are you using an after market radio? If so jus tap all of your hot wires into the orange wire coming out of the radio harness. That is how I have mine done, and it works just fine.