The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

electric oil pressure gauge install [Merged 7-7] installation hookup wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z32

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2005
Chicopee, Massachusetts
I got an Autometer short sweep electric oil pressure gauge that I'm installing in my car right now. I have all the wires inside my car but i don't know where to connect them to, can anyone please help?

DO NOT USE A BRASS T FITTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress this enough. It will break from vibration over time and cause a massive oil leak.

This happened to me.

Your best bet is to mount the t fitting to the frame and run a rubber line from the factory sending unit to the t fitting. This way, there is no weight on it causing it to break.

I have my oil feed from there but I don't mind having the stocker hooked up if need be and thanks for fixing the title.

I have an electrical gauge and I understand where the sensor goes, and I have a red, yellow, and a ground which I know where they go too, but then I have a second ground(according to the crappy instructions) that needs to go back close to the sensor, and I have a second 12v source needed. can I tap the second 12v source in with the 1st into my dimmer switch? Why is there 2 grounds needed and why does it need to go back close to the sensor?

VFAQ doesn't have an install for an Oil Pressure guage, but I searched the forums and found this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now, I want to get the Prosport Oil Pressure Guage from here:

http://www.prosportgauges.com/Performance Gauges-Blue.htm

And it comes with this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Does that screw in where it says "good pressure tap" in the first pic? Will it fit, or does it need an adapter?....Also, I recently installed my turbo and I don't think the 2g oil filter housing is the same as that, doesn't look like it anyway. Do I have the same ports?

Thanks

All you have to do is replace the stock oil pressure sender with the one you got. I installed the same prosport gauge maybe 1 month back and thats exactly what I did. You don't really need the stock oil gauge now that you have the new one. Good luck!

mergury, that is true, BUT how bout the people who want to retain the stock oil gauge?

What would bet he answer to the OP's question?

I will be in a similar situation soon. I really would like to keep the stock gauge working, just cause.

Honestly, as far as the prosport oil gauge is concerned, that sending unit is given with the gauge because it is suppose to take the place of the stock sending unit. I read that on the instructions I believe that came with the gauge. Now as far as keeping the stock gauge and adding another aftermarket gauge, I'm not sure if there is a way. The only thing I can think of is tapping into the stock oil pressure sending unit wiring but then that defeats the purpose of buying an aftermarket gauge because you will recieve the same readings as the stock gauge provides.

Now in the pic, there is a, "good pressure tap," that could also work but as long the aftermarket sending unit will fit in properly because you wouldn't want any leaks at that point. Also, just out of curiosty, why would you want to keep the stock oil gauge anyways? I mean the reason one would purchase an aftermarket oil pressure gauge is to provide more accurate readings then the stock one. So, I don't really see the need to keep it unless you just want the needle to move for some reason.

I hope that helps guys!!

I messed up my stock oil gauge when I was installing messing my guage cluster, so keeping the stock one int a problem what so ever. Heh.

So how does the stock one come off? Same way the new one goes on? I'm sure i will be able to see it when I'm under there, just want a heads up.

Ok I have everything done for the oil pressure guage install except for hooking up the ignition switch wire. I took the cover off the steering column, but I don't know which wire to connect it to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also it is an electric guage

It's the big black and white one. You can't miss it. It goes to the ignition switch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back