The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

electric oil pressure gauge install [Merged 7-7] installation hookup wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z32

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2005
Chicopee, Massachusetts
I got an Autometer short sweep electric oil pressure gauge that I'm installing in my car right now. I have all the wires inside my car but i don't know where to connect them to, can anyone please help?

What if I put the oil pressure reader in the head which is the stock feed oil line for the turbo does it read off?

Please answer my question, it's simple:(
Thanks

alqatan said:
What if I put the oil pressure reader in the head which is the stock feed oil line for the turbo does it read off?
The sensor should be put into filter housing. The oil pressure at the head is lower than it is at the filter housing, and therefore won't be an accurate representation of what's going on.

larsrya8 said:
The sensor should be put into filter housing. The oil pressure at the head is lower than it is at the filter housing, and therefore won't be an accurate representation of what's going on.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try to swap the oil pressure light on the head and will put the pressure on the filter housing, I don't have any other outputs and I think the idiot oil pressure light will be more accurate at the head because lower pressure

Thanks!

I just wanted to let people know that I've had an electric autometer oil pressure sending unit in the stock location for a couple years now with no issues at all.

You can see it here sticking straight down.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just received my three gauge from autometer today: Boost, Egt, and Oil Pressure. I opened up everything to make sure everything was there and i noticed that with the oil pressure gauge all the wires that they gave me were these two 5 inch wires coming out of the back of the light bulb looking thing. One white and one black. I know that the black is the ground and the white is the 12v power source. But, i need to make these wires longer to reach my cig. lighter. Where can i get extra white and black wires for my two short wires? Radio Shack? Now down below the gauge is three little metal "tabs". Look at these instructions to know what i mean. http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/1079A.pdf See where it says "wiring" at the middle? The diagram on the left, see the three metal tabs, the ones that says ground (gnd), s, and i? I did not get any wires for for these three locations. What wires should i get for these three tabs? What are the colors? I really need some information, so if anybody could help me that would be great. Thanks

You can pick up some wire from any auto store like Autozone, you can also use thick speaker wire, if you have any.

S - is wire to sender (for oil pressure and EGT - probe)
I - is wire to ignition. You can wire it to the cig lighter or any ignition source.

You can get any color wires you want, just make sure you can identify them. Normally black is ground, ignition is red or yellow and for sender you can use green or blue.

Thanks. Also i was going to "remote mount" my oil pressure sender to the fire wall. Have you done this? What kind of stainless steel braided hose do i need to feed the oil from the oil filter housing to the sender? Will that 3 feet or so of hose mess with the readings of the gauge? Also, on my boost gauge from autometer, the white nylon tubing is bent right at the end of the tubing. Can i just cut that part off and use the rest of it that is not bent? Will that mess with the readings? Thanks again

On a street car, I wouldn't be worried about vibrations for the oil pressure sender. Just take the stock one out, get a 1/8 NPT fitting (don't quote me on the size) and put the autometer sender in place of the stock one. You do know that once you do that your stock oil gauge will read zero, right? Unless you have 2 senders.

Don't use the white nylon tubing that comes with the autometer gauge, get some 4mm vaccum gauge from www.roadraceengineering.com or any auto store and use that with a T-connector at the Fuel pressure selonoid (spelling??).

DGajre777 said:
On a street car, I wouldn't be worried about vibrations for the oil pressure sender. Just take the stock one out, get a 1/8 NPT fitting (don't quote me on the size) and put the autometer sender in place of the stock one. You do know that once you do that your stock oil gauge will read zero, right? Unless you have 2 senders.

Don't use the white nylon tubing that comes with the autometer gauge, get some 4mm vaccum gauge from www.roadraceengineering.com or any auto store and use that with a T-connector at the Fuel pressure selonoid (spelling??).

The stock sender is 1/8 BPT. 1/8 NPT (like on the autometer sender...) will thread in about two turns or so. Personally, I don't trust that sort of connection and I'd rather do it right, so I'm getting an adapter. You can get them from egauges.com for $6 I think, but the shipping is ~$12 or so. Once I get all of that I'm going to mount it on the firewall (no balance shafts & prothane mounts...).

Personally, I've run the nylon without problems, but I understand the value of upgrading it...

-M

DGajre777 said:

I know i shouldn't use that nylon tubing but i want to use as less money as possible (unless i HAVE to) so i just want to know if i cut that nylon wire at the end will it mess with the readings? Also, is there a special tubing that i can get that goes from the oil filter housing to the sender? So that i can mount it on the firewall. Thanks for your help though

Hey guys,

I'm int he market for an electronic oil pressure gauge, I saw that autometer makes one alogn with apexi and defi. Question is, anyone have experience with oil pressure gauges and which one would be the one to get? I see that the autometer one counts 0-100 psi, would that be enough? :talon:

awdtalontsi1992 said:
0-100psi is definately enough of a range. If you see anything above 100psi you have serious issues. I have an autometer and it works great.
My stock 7-bolt with balance shafts reads over 100 psi of pressure on cold days. As long as the sending unit survives then you should be fine.

my autometer works great as well. Easy installation and it's never failed me. My autometer EGT gauge, on the other hand, is a piece of shit.

With the autometer guages anyway, don't mount the sender right on the motor. They only last about 2 weeks this way in my experience, and they're like 75% of the cost of the guage. ;) I ran a 3 foot length of 4an line and remote mounted the sender. You can see where I mounted it near the valve cover in a couple pics on this page.

I have the 0-100 gauge, it tells me all i need to know, however i wish now i woudl have gone with the full sweep gauge, simply because its more precise.
i have a mark then it jumps to 25 then it jumps to 50 at verticle then 75 then 100.
its really hard to know exactly what the oil pressure is when warm at idle. you just guees that its 1/3 the way to 25 psi.... if i had the ful sweep version i would know to 1 psi what it is.

if all you are concerned with is that you have oil pressure and the operating range of it, then the 0-100 psi is fine,

yeah on a cold motor you can bury the needle,
but when your oil is cold you shouldn't be revving that high anyways.

with the balance shafts deleted and the oil up to temp, i can rev to the 8k and not bury my needle.

95GSXracer said:
With the autometer guages anyway, don't mount the sender right on the motor. They only last about 2 weeks this way in my experience, and they're like 75% of the cost of the guage. ;) I ran a 3 foot length of 4an line and remote mounted the sender. You can see where I mounted it near the valve cover in a couple pics on this page.

Nice setup you got there, I will definately consider doing that with the oil pressure gauge. What did you paint your thermostat housing/water pipe with?

95GSXracer said:

It's interesting you say that as my AM Oil pressure gauge stopped working after about two weeks. And yes it is bolted right to the engine.

Damn, why is this? These things are'nt cheap. Im going to try and exchange it.

-Mike

The vibration destroys the inside of the sender, it sounds like a baby rattle when you take it out. ;)

Those parts on that setup were not painted, but they were new from the dealer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back