The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

dying my convertible top black

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmfreak95

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2008
jackson, Tennessee
Hey guys I have a eclipse Spyder and I hate the tan top on it I'm wanting black. so I'm thinking about dying it black because I don't have 500$ to get a new top right now. I'm just wondering if anybodys done this or if you guys had any advise on what kind of stuff to use. Any input would be great.thanks

In my opinion it isn't going to be as easy as you think. To dye it correctly you are going to need to pull the whole top off the frame, pull the entire window off and dye the stayfast canvas, that is assuming the canvas will even take the dye. I just bought a new top for my spyder from topsonline.com for 400 shipped, but if you don't wanna spend 400 I'll send you my old top is you want it. Only problem with the old top is that the middle needs repaired where it was sliced. Any upholstry shop can do it, but you are gonna spend just as much. I would say, save the money and buy a new top.

In my opinion it isn't going to be as easy as you think. To dye it correctly you are going to need to pull the whole top off the frame, pull the entire window off and dye the stayfast canvas, that is assuming the canvas will even take the dye. I just bought a new top for my spyder from topsonline.com for 400 shipped, but if you don't wanna spend 400 I'll send you my old top is you want it. Only problem with the old top is that the middle needs repaired where it was sliced. Any upholstry shop can do it, but you are gonna spend just as much. I would say, save the money and buy a new top.

Yea I'll take it, how bigs the tear?

Sounds pretty messy, all that dye, running all over the car, getting into strange places, dying your hands black for months etc...

We did this about 3yrs ago and the top is still looking good. We used Duplicolor's spray made for upholstery and canvas.

The top was tan and it looked bad on the black spyder. It took two coats to cover the brown and every now and then we hit some spots that look like they might be wearing through.

I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

BK85

We did this about 3yrs ago and the top is still looking good. We used Duplicolor's spray made for upholstery and canvas.

The top was tan and it looked bad on the black spyder. It took two coats to cover the brown and every now and then we hit some spots that look like they might be wearing through.

I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

BK85

So you used duplicolor an spray? Where did you get it at?

So you used duplicolor an spray? Where did you get it at?

So you used duplicolor can spray? Where did you get it at?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back