The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM injectors peak and hold or saturated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contrary to popular opinion injectors aren't peak and hold or saturated, they are either high or low impedance. Peak and hold as well as saturated refer to the style of driver used.

Turbo DSM's use low impedance injectors with a resistor pack and NA 4G's use high impedance injectors without the resistor pack. All 4G DSM ECU's use a saturated driver for the injectors.

Steve

steve said:
Contrary to popular opinion injectors aren't peak and hold or saturated, they are either high or low impedance. Peak and hold as well as saturated refer to the style of driver used.

Turbo DSM's use low impedance injectors with a resistor pack and NA 4G's use high impedance injectors without the resistor pack. All 4G DSM ECU's use a saturated driver for the injectors.

Steve

Greddy (Denso) refer as do FIC as Peak-Hold style injectors...

"2-3 ohm univ. / top feed / peak-hold type "

http://www.greddy.com/prod_fuel_injectors.htm

"650 cc. Peak & Hold #125-650 Set/4"

http://www.fuelinjectorclinic.com/cart/fuelinjectors.htm

Ummm, you're both right. Its one of those AKA situations.

Peak and hold = low impedance. 2-3 ohms.

Saturated = high impedance. 12 - 16 ohms

You can use the saturated kind in a P&H system, but NOT vice versa.

Turbo cars (Us, 3000GT, Supra, MR2) typically use peak and hold.

The 300ZX and the RX-7 and most all N/A cars use saturated.

I really don't give a rats butt what Greddy, FIC, or RC say on their web sites, they do that for the masses of ignorant who wouldn't know the difference. The injector itself doesn't decide if it's peak and hold or saturated. I could design a peak and hold driver circuit for high impedance injectors and like I said the DSM 4G ECU driver is of the saturated type. If it was peak and hold it wouldn't need the inline resistor pack with low impedance injectors.

You free to continue calling low impedance injectors P&H if you like but try to understand the difference.

Steve

GPTourer said:
Ummm, you're both right. Its one of those AKA situations.
I disagree. It's really simple.

The injector driver circuit decides if the injector is being used in peak and hold or saturated.

You don't typically find P&H drivers with high impedance injectors because it would require drive voltages greater than 12v to get the high peak currents used to quickly accelerate the pintle and because the typical high impedance injector itself is slower than a typical low impedance one.
Low impedance injectors were usually used in high performance applications where deadtime is a factor. Because they need some sort of current limiting, P&H drivers were used to get the best performance. We use a saturated driver with current limiting resistors instead of P&H because the ECU driver circuit is the pretty much the same on the mass market cars and on the high performance cars (the difference is in the snubber). The low impedance injector gives some performance improvement but not what you would see using the same injectors with a P&H driver.

Like I said, contrary to popular opinion this is how it works.

Steve

steve said:
I really don't give a rats butt what Greddy, FIC, or RC say on their web sites, they do that for the masses of ignorant who wouldn't know the difference. The injector itself doesn't decide if it's peak and hold or saturated. I could design a peak and hold driver circuit for high impedance injectors and like I said the DSM 4G ECU driver is of the saturated type. If it was peak and hold it wouldn't need the inline resistor pack with low impedance injectors.

You free to continue calling low impedance injectors P&H if you like but try to understand the difference.

Steve

I'm simply saying for people who are injector shopping and don't want to get that in depth about what to buy, telling them they are not Peak&Hold injectors when every DSM dealer around is claiming they are, it gets a bit confusing, you know?

RuBiCaNT5X said:
I'm simply saying for people who are injector shopping and don't want to get that in depth about what to buy, telling them they are not Peak&Hold injectors when every DSM dealer around is claiming they are, it gets a bit confusing, you know?
I understand what your saying. I don't think I was trying to say that people don't call them that, just that it really isn't the correct term and I tried to explain why, so people would be a little more educated and less confused. There are places that correctly refer to them as either low or high impedance and you wouldn't know which to get if all you knew was peak and hold.

Steve

kinda like when people call engines, motors and vice versa. ;) just face it, too many stupid people work on cars.

p.s. a motor is eletric not gas powered.

sorry but did toyta ever make a NA supra??? cause u know there are 3 types of Z32's in america the 300zx TT , the NA 2seater and the NA 2+2....

kyle h. said:
kinda like when people call engines, motors and vice versa. ;) just face it, too many stupid people work on cars.

p.s. a motor is eletric not gas powered.

It may be "wrong" but it is accepted. I don't know why so many people bring that up. Its just kind of a nerdy thing to say, IMO. Kinda like that 16G is a 50 trim thread that got out of control.

Motors are electric only huh?

So should we change Mitsubishi Motors of America to Mitsubishi Engines of America?
General Motors should be General Engines?
Ford Motor Company, Nissan Motors. It goes on and on. Motors in this case is short for motorcar, or automobiles, so it should be okay for someone to call a gas engine a motor and not get corrected or called stupid.

zxdude said:
sorry but did toyta ever make a NA supra???

Yes. It (MKIV version) came stock with 220hp.

Since all peak and hold systems (which I understand is determined by the control box, not the injector itself) require low impedance injectors it should also be "okay" for the two terms to be interchangeable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back