The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

dry nitrous has two solenoids?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnett03

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2005
Aurora, Colorado
im getting a used NOS brand dry nitrous system. It has two solenoids with a blue adaptor in between. I'm wondering why it has two solenoids? Im switching it over to a wet kit so can i use one solenoid for nitrous and one for fuel?

the kit has two solenoids because thats the way a true dry kit is setup. See, alot of people dont realize that a dry kit DOES ADD FUEL, just not in the same way as a wet kit.

The second solenoid, and that blue "adapter" (actually a vaccuum sensitive regulator) use the pressure from the nitrous in the lines while spraying to trick your fpr into adding more fuel to the injectors. Dry kit does NOT mean less powerful, a 75 shot is a 75 shot, however.. not all cars are able to use a dry kit because many do not have a fpr under the hood with a fuel return line going back to the tank. Wet kits are safer after a certain point, but only because you begin to get into the grey area of what your stock injectors can handle, too much pressure and they will lock, you will lean out and go boom. (this "certain point" is well above what a stock engine can handle anyway..."

People will always argue over the above point.

Also there should be a small black pressure switch with a 1/8" npt thread on the end, this is a swich which senses the available fuel pressure through the test port on the fuel rail, if the pressure gets below a preset point, the switch opens the circuit and the nitrous stops spraying.

I do not know if you can use the spare nitrous solenoid to release fuel in the wet kit, might have to call Holley over that one. Other than flow rate I dont know what differences might be between the fuel and nitrous solenoids. They are really just a valve with an electronic opener, basically.

Hope this helps :thumb:

EDIT: Of course when using Nitrous in combination with a turbo, a wet kit is the easiest and smartest way to go. Also, keep in mind that the shot ratings go out the window once they meet positive pressure. Good luck.

Edit Edit: Sorry guys... didnt see the other thread that had been replied to...

Joey G said:
the kit has two solenoids because thats the way a true dry kit is setup. See, alot of people dont realize that a dry kit DOES ADD FUEL, just not in the same way as a wet kit.

The second solenoid, and that blue "adapter" (actually a vaccuum sensitive regulator) use the pressure from the nitrous in the lines while spraying to trick your fpr into adding more fuel to the injectors. Dry kit does NOT mean less powerful, a 75 shot is a 75 shot, however.. not all cars are able to use a dry kit because many do not have a fpr under the hood with a fuel return line going back to the tank. Wet kits are safer after a certain point, but only because you begin to get into the grey area of what your stock injectors can handle, too much pressure and they will lock, you will lean out and go boom. (this "certain point" is well above what a stock engine can handle anyway..."

People will always argue over the above point.

Also there should be a small black pressure switch with a 1/8" npt thread on the end, this is a swich which senses the available fuel pressure through the test port on the fuel rail, if the pressure gets below a preset point, the switch opens the circuit and the nitrous stops spraying.

I do not know if you can use the spare nitrous solenoid to release fuel in the wet kit, might have to call Holley over that one. Other than flow rate I dont know what differences might be between the fuel and nitrous solenoids. They are really just a valve with an electronic opener, basically.

Hope this helps :thumb:

EDIT: Of course when using Nitrous in combination with a turbo, a wet kit is the easiest and smartest way to go. Also, keep in mind that the shot ratings go out the window once they meet positive pressure. Good luck.

Edit Edit: Sorry guys... didnt see the other thread that had been replied to...
you have helped, thanks! my kit is now done, i ordered a fuel solenoid and used the 2nd nitrous solenoid for a purge

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back