The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Door Mechanism Issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBeecroft

Probationary Member
Sep 6, 2022
Washington
My 1998 Eclipse had a broken door handle, so I replaced it and it worked fine. After a little while, it stopped working - but the handle isn't broken. I took apart the door and all of the rods are still connected. The handle appears to be working correctly, but as you're opening the door, when the bolt attached to the rod connected to the door handle hits the l-shaped joint that needs to be pushed down to unlatch the door mechanism, it just stops and is unable to push down the joint. If I manually push down the joint with a wrench from the inside, it unlatches the door. Any ideas?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
Hello and welcome to Tuners! What you are experiencing is extremely common on 2G dsms and the quick fix would be to completely reach in there and bend that rod back in inward of the door. If you are not maxed out on the upper adjustment you can also loosen the nut/bolt on the upper circled arm and that could help as well. Over time the rods just slowly bend outward so that they do not have the same range of travel to unlatch the door. If you have the time, completely remove it and completely bend it to the correct position and also re-lubricate all the latch components. Hope this helps and please take some time to explore the search function on the site. All the info you will need for things like this are here already. Also all the...
Hello and welcome to Tuners! What you are experiencing is extremely common on 2G dsms and the quick fix would be to completely reach in there and bend that rod back in inward of the door. If you are not maxed out on the upper adjustment you can also loosen the nut/bolt on the upper circled arm and that could help as well. Over time the rods just slowly bend outward so that they do not have the same range of travel to unlatch the door. If you have the time, completely remove it and completely bend it to the correct position and also re-lubricate all the latch components. Hope this helps and please take some time to explore the search function on the site. All the info you will need for things like this are here already. Also all the FSMs for the vehicles are listed under the manuals section which will help as well.

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back