The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

does this sound good for first mods!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allmotor92talon

Probationary Member
Mar 21, 2005
marthasville, Missouri
all right i have a 92 talon n/a.starting to smoke pretty bad so in about a month im gonna tear it down.this is what i have planned....

turbo intake cam
set of aem cam gears
balance shaft eliminator kit
forged pistons (eventually i would like to run a shot of nitrous )
stronger springs and retainers
3 angle valve job
obx header
cold air intake
2.25 exhaust with high flow cat.
have head shaved

by the way i am not a newbie,just to this site and i couldn't find a section for my 1gen n/a
also is it better to run 1mm over valves or just get a 3 angle valve job,ive heard different things about each of them.remember my car is n/t.....thanks let me know if this list sounds good. :talon:

for all that money your gonna throw into an NT w/ high miles, sell it and buy an turbo awd talon and youll never look back. Cus just think about it, all that money in it and then just get smoked by a stock turbo talon.

project_tsi said:
for all that money your gonna throw into an NT w/ high miles, sell it and buy an turbo awd talon and youll never look back. Cus just think about it, all that money in it and then just get smoked by a stock turbo talon.

W3rd!

Travi§

i used to have a Dsm N/T and i thought i could make it fast a did a lot and was even about to buy a turbo kit but instead i sold it and got a turbo awd and regreted even ever thinking about trying to build up the N/T TRUST ME ITS NOT WORTH IT GO TURBO AWD!!!!!!!!!

I believe one of the rules are not to tell someone to sell it and buy a turbo just because you think there is no way to make it fast.. There could be a number of reasons that he doesn't have a turbo and if he wants to drop the money into it, let him.

allmotor92talon: sounds like you got a decent set of first mods but a couple things i would do different: i would stay away from OBX stuff, just a personal preference along with alot of other people. I'd probably run a tubular header. I'd also run a 2.5" exhaust and if you don't have emissions, run a test pipe, otherwise a high flow cat will be good. :thumb:

Sometimes you get attached to your car and want to keep it. An na car can be plenty fast with time, kinda like mine. Plus you can get great deals on insurance if you build your na car into a "135HP"( ;) ) beast. Stick with what you're doing if that's what you want. If you're throwing those pistons in there, you should be able to turbo it down the road quite easily, even if you just throw on a 14B.

first off THANKS n/a turbotalon and badassgst for not telling me to sell it and buy a turbo..the mane reason im not buying a turbo is because starting in june i am going to be makeing alot of trips from missouri to gullport mississippi and back....i dont want to have to worry about an oil line or anything else coming off...also TOO MANY people are just adding turbo's....i tell you what after i do all that stuff and add a 100 shot of nitrous i will smoke any stock gsx..i'll put money on it...i just want to do something different..also badassgst what header do you suggest i get,i was also looking at pacesetter..what you think of them?and n/a turbotalon what do you have done to your talon?
PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :talon:

allmotor92talon said:
...and n/a turbotalon what do you have done to your talon?

My car has:
Forced Performance Red
RC 750cc injectors
Walboro 255lph fuel pump
GM translator
6bolt engine swap
Tial 46mm wastegate
3" ss O2 housing
3" Turbo back exhaust
2.5" intercooler piping
Greddy RS BOV
Ported Head
B&M commandflo AFPR
K&N filter
Ported exhaust manifold
Front upper strut bar
Suspension, Rims, etc.

allmotor92talon said:
the mane reason im not buying a turbo is because starting in june i am going to be makeing alot of trips from missouri to gullport mississippi and back....i dont want to have to worry about an oil line or anything else coming off...

i have driven my turbo talon 3 hrs 1 way, then came back with it. and easily put 800 miles on in a week. after i got all the wore out stuff replaced she turned out to be quite reliable. and many members on here can vouche on that.

but if you want to go fast deffinatly get a turbo, if you are looking for cheaper insurance drop in a turbo motor and tranny, but if you are looking to build a fast n/t motor then so be it.

to each their own

allmotor92talon said:
first off THANKS n/a turbotalon and badassgst for not telling me to sell it and buy a turbo..the mane reason im not buying a turbo is because starting in june i am going to be makeing alot of trips from missouri to gullport mississippi and back....i dont want to have to worry about an oil line or anything else coming off...also TOO MANY people are just adding turbo's....i tell you what after i do all that stuff and add a 100 shot of nitrous i will smoke any stock gsx..i'll put money on it...i just want to do something different..also badassgst what header do you suggest i get,i was also looking at pacesetter..what you think of them?and n/a turbotalon what do you have done to your talon?
Sorry Dude Pull up next to me with that 100 shot of whimp juice and you still will barly make out the TSI badge on my car as i blow the doors of yours! :D

4Motion4g63 said:
Sorry Dude Pull up next to me with that 100 shot of whimp juice and you still will barly make out the TSI badge on my car as i blow the doors of yours! :D

ROFL

shame on you to ever think a N/T will ever be nearly as fast as a turbo AWD :nono:

wow...to think a n/t will out run a turbo...LOL
well its your car have fun with it but one thing you need to do is port polish the head dont forget that mister n/t beats turbo car, if u need any parts let me know i got an n/t car parked in the woods. :tease: I DO :tease:

wow...i wuz gonna try and help u out until u said u'd beat an awd gsx...... :tease: ROFL

but i'll give u this much....1mm oversized valves are NOT for u... u will not see again w/ these, infact it may hurt ur performance...the oversized valves are for people running big turbo's w/ big cams....not a n/t....oh another thing....don't waste ur $ on aem cam gears....all they will do is give u that bling effect......buy something else....w/ that extra $340

I definately have to agree. Buying a turbo is the way to go. By the time you get to that NOS shot any turbo will be so far away that even if your engine doesnt blow up you will not catch up also. And please do not bring up reliability and then claim you will run a turbo and beat it with your NOS, How many shots you think one engine will take? Good luck and I hope you plan on being pretty happy on that NOS button if you are going to be racing turbos.

w3rd ROFL

I know it all has to do with driver skill, but 2 years ago at Maple Grove (PA) during the high school drag wars, a 2g tsi awd which cleary had an aftermarket exhaust and fmic (did not see other parts so not sure what all was done) ran a high 17 something quarter mile

few cars later, a 1.8 eclipse gs ran a low 17 something.

in this case, non turbo would have beat turbo awd ROFL

but then again the 2g driver sucked at everything they did during that race

You want to build up a n/a car, go ahead. Sure you will have fun, but when your done with all these mods and have spent tons of money, you won;t be any faster, or possibly even not as fast as a stock turbo car...and you dont find stock turbo cars around much these days. so you will still be slower then all them

alright im telling you guys that a 100 shot of nos will smoke a STOCK gsx.my buddy did it with his neon without nos.it's a SOHC,with header,ice man cai,bigger throttle body,and a chip he beet the gsx by 2 and a half cars.believe it or not!!! cuz if i was a betting man i would of bet on the gsx,glad i didn't.yes,i will race any STOCK GSX.im telling you i will be faster.peace!!! for now N/T all the way

volcom121 said:
wow...i wuz gonna try and help u out until u said u'd beat an awd gsx...... :tease: ROFL

My freinds GS with a 75 shot will pull on a GST with a exhust and intake from a roll... He put 3 cars on a GSX with a intake from a roll, don't under estimate the power of "whimp juice"...

If you do end up getting nitrious, don't worry about "blowing up your engine", your engine will only blow up if you don't know what you are doing, don't have enough fuel, or a slight slight chance of a nitrous backfire. Id recomend a ZEX kit, that is what I will be running on the GSX... :dsm:

'There are only two kinds of people who use NOS. Those who have blown engines, and those who are going to blow their engine.' -Eric (my mechanic)

Seriously, the most important part is driver skill. As to actual car output... even if you dropped eight grant on the NT build, it'll still have less potential than a stock GSX. Might beat one, but only if the other guy doesn't know how to launch, double-clutch, over-rev, or push the pedal to the floor.

Personally, the only point I'd use NOS would be if I was already pushing 400-500bhp, and had a spare five grand laying around.
That and the number of people who consider it cheating... after all, if you're off the line first, you've showed more skill than the other guy. Spending a dollar to close that gap... dishonorable.

Well, on the highway and NOT off the line AWD doesnt stand for much besides a loss of HP...

well this car is really starting to piss me off,i just blew another tranny sat. night.this is really starting to get old.i dont know if i even want to bother with the piece of shit.i left it up there on the side of the rode,i aint even worried about it.unless one of you guys can hook me up with a tranny for a reasonable price,otherwise it can sit up there and rot for all i care.someone let me know asap.................

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back