The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Do you read blogs?

Do you read the blogs on this site?

• Yes

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 74.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate blogs. I can't stand them here, nor there - not anywhere. I group blogs with txting lingo; leave it to the yappy 12 year old girls.
But I'm also of a different breed, I also hate MySpace, Facebook and Twitter. But that's a hole 'nother can of worms.

If the forums convert to blogs, I'll just convert to real books.

I hate blogs. I can't stand them here, nor there - not anywhere. I group blogs with txting lingo; leave it to the yappy 12 year old girls.
But I'm also of a different breed, I also hate MySpace, Facebook and Twitter. But that's a hole 'nother can of worms.

I think this was the most well said spiel yet in this thread. There are 100s of forums on the net I choose to read which ones are GOOD, sucky ones don't get read. This really is a great site, but if it is going the way of the blog then on to the next site, and I think many will follow. I wish we still had the daily digest, one post each day, that really cut the BS out, there was no flaming, (it was too hard), and you only posted something if it was really necessary since it took a whole day to get a response, man the good ol days, the car world was MUCH better before forums ruined them.

Later Dr Turbo

I personally want to thanks both of you for making my point.

I just realized - this poll is posted in the Hangout...How many people who browse the tech forums and blogs even visit the Hangout? LOL Boy is the voting going to be skewed.

That's so funny true! I only saw this thread because I happened to glance at the new/recent threads on the main page. My wife says I spend too much time on here anyway. So how many actually see this whole drama. . .

You saw it because it was posted in the new threads or main page the only place people really look, WHO searches JUST the tech forum and I know nobody just reads the blogs, becuase they suck. As far as I am concerned this thread is dead, the blogs suck the voters proved it, it is totaly up to Luda what he wants to do, but he will be going vastly against the majority if this blog thing continues.

Later Dr Turbo

I saw it because I was worried about how others view the site since youve really bothered some and others have seen it. I saw who started it and took a look. I didn't see it because it was important to building/modifying DSMs. But I understand that you feel the value of posting as a thread. It was a way that worked. I'm sure you wish you could edit some of the crap out of your build thread. But that's the way a thread is :) mods working overtime to keep it just to the build, while still maintaining the rules/purpose of the site :)

I search just the tech forum :). I'm looking up data on the 1g n/t timing map and I don't want the hangout guys opinion on the maps or whatever. I want meat, and knowing how to serch is really easy :). Posting good info in just the hangout is pretty absurd. No one is asking for good data there. If they are, then they misread that particular forum title and the post is moved.

+1 I was curious to what kind of trolling was going on this time. Once I saw the title I had a pretty good idea. I see you FINALLY got tired of sending me PM's and not getting any replies back ;)

I still announce my vote for a ban.

It really wouldnt bother me if the majority went elsewhere have you looked at some of the info in the newbie section where the majority posts?

Spoken well with someone that has at least ONE blog entry before this debate started. :coy:

I have faith, Chris. I'll be patient and wait for the upgrade. I just have a strong feeling that I'm really going to miss build threads on this site. We'll see though.

x2 on this one.

I am holding back on my updates to my build thread right now because it confuses me on how to use it. I already miss the thread style layout. ROFL I'm sure once Chris gets the ball rolling on the new blog style it will become clear for me.

This thread might actually help dispel some of the negative views people have with the blog section... who would have thought a thread that was started in order to challenge me on the subject might even end up helping educate people on the system. LOL

:thumb: Myself included on the "educated" list. I have poked around in there before, but never had much interest in the blogs myself. I think they are well put together and all, but usually I post/lurk from work, so I have only enough time to see the recent threads...this forum moves fast! I saw blogs without comments yet, so I think I will look again and maybe start posting in there too!

It just seems to me that its like 2 different mediums delivering my favorite topic - DSMs! While I will give the blogs another chance, currently I have to vote that I do not use the blogs....yet....

Blogs are for myspace or facebook, I never read them on tuners. This is a car site with interaction and dialogue. Blog responses are typically "sweet build dude", "nice job", "that's bad ass" or something to that affect.

In my opinion the founder is trying to move the site forward to make life easier for all of us and to also keep this site ahead of the rest.
I mean, if having to look for or post a build thread in one place rather than in the other is too hard then really, you’re already lost. :notgood:

Point taken. But on the same token, one could argue that they enjoy reading the "in between" comments and questions. Some build threads have excellent technical discussions in them, and for many of us, that's hardly something to skip over or sift through. :)

this.

Ill gladly go through a 30pg build thread when i get the chance to take it all in. Youd be surprised the amount of tech that gets brought up in such threads and what youll learn by actually paying attention and reading them. Sadly this generation doesnt have the attention span to do so.

and one of the best to date has been Paul's compound turbocharging thread, especially the one on DSMlink forums.

So, IOW, a few of you are worried about whether we'll still get the technical on how and why; of which the thread style allows those to ask such questions or debate the effectiveness. That would be missed if no one asks those questions.

But we have a whole forum for us to ask those questions; if it merrits a whole discussion, it would be nice if it were a separate thread dedicated to the good question/discussion. It would allow the information to be more easily searchable, IMHO.

Another way to keep the tech side of the build alive. . . If the blog was easier to see, then we can view the ones we're interested in. Then ask questions in it. Can't a tech discussion insue in the blog replies? It's basically just like a regular thread underneath the blog (minus attachments). It keeps the build and the comments, debates, side discussions and rants there but separate. It's just like startign a build thread and the OP editing the first post every time he updates. I've wondered about doing this infact. But in the bloggers case, he would have much more rein: editing negative responses, limiting those who can reply, or whatever. . .

I see "cool build" and "is the cleanest 1g on the world Dr. u the best" in build threads all the time and all over them. Yes. I see that in blogs too. Letting a build grow in a blog and giving blogs alot of 'viewability' begets the same thoughts as doing it in thread form. At least the build itself is completely uninterupted on the first page. All the bloggers build details are right their to see easily. If there's interesting or good tech replies, then you can search through that and skip all the build updates. Better for everyone.

So, IOW, a few of you are worried about whether we'll still get the technical on how and why; of which the thread style allows those to ask such questions or debate the effectiveness. That would be missed if no one asks those questions.

But we have a whole forum for us to ask those questions; if it merrits a whole discussion, it would be nice if it were a separate thread dedicated to the good question/discussion. It would allow the information to be more easily searchable, IMHO.

Another way to keep the tech side of the build alive. . . If the blog was easier to see, then we can view the ones we're interested in. Then ask questions in it. Can't a tech discussion insue in the blog replies? It's basically just like a regular thread underneath the blog (minus attachments). It keeps the build and the comments, debates, side discussions and rants there but separate. It's just like startign a build thread and the OP editing the first post every time he updates. I've wondered about doing this infact. But in the bloggers case, he would have much more rein: editing negative responses, limiting those who can reply, or whatever. . .

I see "cool build" and "is the cleanest 1g on the world Dr. u the best" in build threads all the time and all over them. Yes. I see that in blogs too. Letting a build grow in a blog and giving blogs alot of 'viewability' begets the same thoughts as doing it in thread form. At least the build itself is completely uninterupted on the first page. All the bloggers build details are right their to see easily. If there's interesting or good tech replies, then you can search through that and skip all the build updates. Better for everyone.
Well said. There will not be be any tech info lost, nor will people be unable to go through a build. They just won't have to read through the replies mixed in with the build info. The replies will now be cleanly separated, allowing those who want to read them to do so and those who just want to read the build to do the same.

Blogs are for myspace or facebook, I never read them on tuners. This is a car site with interaction and dialogue. Blog responses are typically "sweet build dude", "nice job", "that's bad ass" or something to that affect.
So how are those replies different than forum replies? LOL

Forums are just as vulnerable to "yappy 12 year old girls" as blogs are. The forums are not converting to blogs. Some of the tech info here will soon be organized in a blog format so that it's easier to read. The forums will still be here for discussions.

Some of you are thinking of blogs in terms of what you "perceive" them to be used for. Instead, try thinking of them in terms of the way they're structured - like an articles system as opposed to a forums system. I think that's the main problem, people have a preconceived notion of what a blog is. They're thinking that blogs = myspace. That's like saying forums = honda-tech. It all depends on how it's used. We won't be allowing the blogs to turn into myspace homepages. A blog system is just that, a system. Just like a forum is a system and a calendar is a system, and a classifieds script is a system. Some systems lend themselves better to different applications.

Imagine trying to read a magazine article that has all 10 of its paragraphs spread out across 300 posts of a forum thread. You only really want to see the 10 posts but have to read through 290 other posts to get the info you're interested in - or worse, you click through 10 pages only to see that there haven't been any updates past the first page... Wouldn't it be easier to follow it if all the paragraphs were together and all the replies were separate? ;)

I personally want to thanks both of you for making my point....

You saw it because it was posted in the new threads or main page the only place people really look, WHO searches JUST the tech forum and I know nobody just reads the blogs, becuase they suck. As far as I am concerned this thread is dead, the blogs suck the voters proved it, it is totaly up to Luda what he wants to do, but he will be going vastly against the majority if this blog thing continues.

Later Dr Turbo
The blogs will soon be included in the New Posts results - problem solved. The blogs do not suck, that's strictly your opinion because you're unfamiliar with the system and don't understand how it will be used - I will be working on educating people like you on how to use the system soon. This was posted in the Hangout and does not represent the view of the majority - if anything, it represents those who have been following your antics the past few months, those looking to see what controversy you'll post next. And as I said from the beginning, this thread will do nothing to sway my plans - this isn't up for debate and the majority wasn't represented here. And even if they were, they will only see the blogs as they are now, not how they will be.

If you think you're going to post a poll and try to prove a point in an effort to put pressure on me to change my plans because of a decision YOU don't like, you're way off base. Don't try to act like you represent the "average" member here - you're much less respectful. You acted like you were innocently trying to get feedback on the subject and then you post this type of reply, which states your true intentions clearly. You've got nerve trying to put me on the spot in a forum you're a guest of - especially after all the explanations I've posted along the way. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You've shown that you're not very interested in the spirit of this site and how we do things, nor helping make this site better for the future members.

Had something like this been posted for the Classifieds solution a number of years ago before we changed it I'm sure we'd see similar results. But now that people are used to the system, it's obviously much better than using a forum for classified posts (even though it needs the zip code feature fixed - that's on its way). One of us has experience running communities like this.

I feel that this can be closed now. Anyone who really cares about helping in a constructive way knows how to do it. This obviously wasn't posted for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back