The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

do i need an oil cooler ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andranik

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2010
Brockton, Massachusetts
hey guys i have a 1990 6bolt motor that i just put in my 2g i haved started it or anything i have a question before i start it ...i was talking to a buddy of mine and he told me since i have a 1990 motor i need a oil cooler ... is this true ?? what would happen if i didnt install a oil cooler? here is picture of the housing please help
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My dad ran a 92 6-bolt with no oil cooler for over a year and a half. Never had an issue, but then, he never took it to the track either.

If you have the 1990 OFH, you might as well get a cooler as it has the fittings built in.

I'm having the same issue, magnus says to put an OEM water to oil cooler on. I bought my motor complete, and the kid said he took the water to oil cooler off, but the oil housing is there. Can anyone with a 6 bolt swap in a 2g post a pic of there oil filter housing set up? Sorry for thread jacking

The housing pictured doesn't have fittings built in for the external oil cooler as it is a non-turbo housing. Having a 1990 engine makes no difference one way or another, though as mentioned above, it makes little sense not to have one with the 1990 turbo OFH.

If you wanted to run an oil cooler (recommended, not required) with the housing you have, you could do so by removing two of the plugs in the front of the housing and replacing them with appropriate fittings for an external cooler, as pictured here: [pics missing]

^^Not necessarily true!! See this for more details: 90 oil cooler

I'm having the same issue, magnus says to put an OEM water to oil cooler on. I bought my motor complete, and the kid said he took the water to oil cooler off, but the oil housing is there. Can anyone with a 6 bolt swap in a 2g post a pic of there oil filter housing set up? Sorry for thread jacking

Here's the 1990 external oil cooler setup on my '96 w/ 6-bolt swap:

Last edited:
The housing pictured doesn't have fittings built in for the external oil cooler as it is a non-turbo housing. Having a 1990 engine makes no difference one way or another, though as mentioned above, it makes little sense not to have one with the 1990 turbo OFH.

If you wanted to run an oil cooler (recommended, not required) with the housing you have, you could do so by removing two of the plugs in the front of the housing and replacing them with appropriate fittings for an external cooler, as pictured here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/396446-94-talon-oil-cooler.html#post152511711.

Here's the 1990 external oil cooler setup on my '96 w/ 6-bolt swap:

I'm having trouble seeing where the lines are going, maybe becaise im looking at it on my phone LOL. Also, would you have the part numbers for the lines?

Can't see where it goes on which end? The two lines go from the oil filter housing to the bottom of the oil cooler shown in the second picture.

It isn't absolutely necessary to use Mitsubishi's parts for these (see, for example: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/271069-2g-external-oil-cooler-install.html); if you do, your cooler will be in the same position show in my pictures which isn't ideal especially with a FMIC.
Banjo fittings (not the bolts) at the oil filter housing: MB033658
Oil cooler return line: MB033664
Oil cooler feed line: MB033663

This is the only other picture I have:

Only the 90's came with oil coolers, You dont NEED it, it helps but not needed. I am trying to find one on ebay for cheap.

I dont mean to tread jack but I was wondering since the 91 OFH does not have the ports for the oil cooler, can I tap into the oil return and run from turbo to oil cooler, cooler to pan? or is that not enough pressure? Or maybe Oil feed off OFH to cooler, from cooler to turbo? Or will that be too much pressure? Basiclty, is there any other spot I can tap the oil cooler lines into other than just the OFH?

Only the 90's came with oil coolers, You dont NEED it, it helps but not needed. I am trying to find one on ebay for cheap.

I dont mean to tread jack but I was wondering since the 91 OFH does not have the ports for the oil cooler, can I tap into the oil return and run from turbo to oil cooler, cooler to pan? or is that not enough pressure? Or maybe Oil feed off OFH to cooler, from cooler to turbo? Or will that be too much pressure? Basiclty, is there any other spot I can tap the oil cooler lines into other than just the OFH?

Correction: all turbo models came with oil coolers, it was just the '90 was the only year with an air oil cooler. The rest of them came with the oil cooler sandwiched between the oil filter and OFH cooled by coolant.

If you want an air oil cooler, I would recommend getting a '90 OFH or I believe the Evo IX works as well. Running the cooler in series with your turbo feed would be stupid. It would be like running coolant through your heater before it gets to the rad. It needs more flow than your turbo does.

Correction: all turbo models came with oil coolers, it was just the '90 was the only year with an air oil cooler. The rest of them came with the oil cooler sandwiched between the oil filter and OFH cooled by coolant.

If you want an air oil cooler, I would recommend getting a '90 OFH or I believe the Evo IX works as well. Running the cooler in series with your turbo feed would be stupid. It would be like running coolant through your heater before it gets to the rad. It needs more flow than your turbo does.

K I will look around. Thanks.

So i ccan use the 6 bolt air to oil cooler with no issues?

If you have a '90 OFH, yes.

1990 OFH, you can cleary see the banjo bolts that the oil cooler lines bolt to.

1991+ OFH clearly does not.

Darren from FFWD states here that, "Unless you're pounding on the car doing some canyon racing or Auto-Xing, we believe it isn't necessary to use coolers. None of our drag cars has ever used them."

If you drive aggressively for extended periods, you may need one. On a DD that you drive fairly moderately, or a drag car that can cool between beatings, you can probably leave it as is.

I'd get a new housing and oil cooler setup. If you find the housing by itself, or just want to upgrade later, there are aftermarket coolers that will work.

Not completely necessary to use a '90 turbo OFH, as I previously pointed out. You can do something very similar on turbo, water-cooled housings as well (SEE EDIT BELOW). I do agree it would be useless to plumb one up between the turbo and oil pan.

EDIT: ^^No longer suggesting doing this. Read here for details as to why not: 90 oil cooler

Just delete your Water to Oil Cooler, cut the Oil Filter Bolt off to a shorter Length & Loctite it back into your existing OFH, your Oil Filter will then seat directly on the OFH, that will give you Downpipe clearance - Then plumb up an Air to Oil Cooler off the unused ports at the front of your existing OFH - You don't need the sandwhich adapter.

See http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/122003-what-part-do-i-need.html#post988088 and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...lter-housing-merged-10-8-a.html#post151393150 for pictures of BUCK's setup.

EDIT: ^^BUCK's setup is wrong! I apologize for the misinformation. Read this for more details: 90 oil cooler

So i ccan use the 6 bolt air to oil cooler with no issues?

If your car is set up for it, yes. If you wish to remove the water oil cooler, you need to plan how to either get rid of, plug, or loop the coolant feed and return lines for the OFH.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much ... My only other question is that the non turbo housing will work on a turbo motor without a problem and also where will I feed the turbo from I was told for my turbo best from the ofh ??

I talked to paul at Jnz. He said I have three options. Use the sandwich piece from the 2g ofh and use a 91-92 ofh. Use a 90 ofh and a external cooler. Option 3 no cooler at all. I think I'm going to do option 1.

Do you plan on using an external (air) oil cooler or not? Where there's a will, there's a way, it may just require you use "T" fittings for one of the sensors as previously linked to. This post shows good a pressure source for your turbo without an external cooler on a non-turbo OFH: Oil pressure gauge sensor questions [merged] oil sender. The port for the oil pressure sender gauge unit (big brass bell-shaped thing) is a good port as well.

EDIT: The "good" pressure tap indicated in the link provided (which, also of note, is a non-turbo filter housing) is unfiltered oil! So is the one for the oil pressure sender gauge unit! The "best" choice for a turbo feed line would be the port that is not circled at all IN THE CASE OF THAT PICTURE. If you refer to the last picture in post #17 above, the top port shown (with somewhat recessed plug) is the "best" port for a turbo, water-cooled housing.

Last edited:
I'm going the 2g rroute, using the water pipe to cool it. Is there any tutorials on how to set it up? Basicly its a 91-92 ofh with the sandwich water setup.

My last post was directed at Andranik. Sorry for any confusion. Anyhow, the 2G sandwich (water) cooler is no different than the 1G sandwich cooler. FYI, the water pipe is the return; the cooler is fed from the thermostat housing. It's a pretty logical setup; feed from the thermostat housing, return to the water pipe. As I said before, putting it together depends on the components your car already has.

Here's the 91-94 turbo setup and 90-94 non-turbo setup: N/T waterpipe? No coolant line provisions!
Here's the 90 turbo setup: N/T waterpipe? No coolant line provisions! -- same thread, different post than above
Here's the 2G turbo setup:

interesting, so a 94 n/a OFH will work just fine on turbo blocks? the n/a is what came with my current block but i have a 90 OFH but no cooler or oil lines for it. should I switch them or is it fine?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back