The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Data aquisition (data loggers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemoto

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2002
California
I have been reading some of the postings on this issue and that has left me with some questions.

Is it better to use a PC laptop for logging? As I understand it, going this way means some software and cables to connect to the data port that is in the car, right?

What about the pocketloggers? I imagine slower sample rates, but can they log any of the key informaion that a PC laptop would? (by that I means air fuel mix, timing, knock, rpm, injector pulse width, etc.)

Who are the key players? I went to pocketlogger.com and they look ok. I have a PDA so it looks like Im halfway home if I go this route. I also went to TMO...it looks like their logging system is under development. Theres gotta be more out there. Sounds like a PC laptop so far has advantages, I just need some contacts to verify...if anyone can be the hero, thanks!

Kyle

TMO is the most widely used and accepted logger for 1Gs. The pocketlogger is verysimilar and has the same functionality. For a 2g, it doesnt matter much since the ECU is the limiting factor. I personally prefer using a PDA. I dont like having a laptop flying around on a 1.6 second 60 foot launch ;)

The main difference between the TMO and pocket logger is the real time graphing. With the pocket logger you get three displays at once, you can not scroll through other parameters until you pause the log. With the TMO you can scroll through all the things you are logging while the log is still going.

Im kinda in the same boat right now. I have a nice laptop and the money for logger, but just dont really know what to go with. What would any of you recommend considering that I have a laptop already, but have no experience tuning??

If you have the equipment already I'd just get the TMO. I do like it better for initial tuning of a new part. The big display and ability to scroll through graphs in real time is nice. On the other hand the pocket logger is nice because I can easily use it on my way to work, bring it in with me, and check out my logs during lunch :).

cant you do the same thing with the laptop/datalogger...or were you just saying that cause the pocketlogger is realy small and easier to carry around

Originally posted by candela
cant you do the same thing with the laptop/datalogger...or were you just saying that cause the pocketlogger is realy small and easier to carry around

Pocket logger goes in your pocket, yeah that's what I was saying ;).

The pocket logger is on a palm pilot.

I ended up getting the pockelogger software instead. My laptop is really old and crappy and didnt meet the basic requirments to run the tmo software. I foun the palm m100 from refurbdepot.com for 60$ and it came with a warranty. All in all for the software, palm and the hotsync cable shipped to me was 240$. I dont think thats very bad at all. The m100 is pretty basic, but I dont plan on using it for anything but logs anyway, and for 60 bucks you cant beat that@@

Good luck. The cabel is basically the copyright for most logger comapanies. Any shmuck can steal thier software from a friend, but you need the cable. You can get them, if you dont have any moral problems with it. Not sure where though...

all I want to know is can the pocketlogger show Knock?, thats all I need it for right now

Another key difference is the price. 300 bucks for the TMO datalogger, and 155 for the pocketlogger :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back