The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Dash lights and radio confusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2010
Down by the bay, California
I am having a problem with the dash lights. They wont come on using the steering wheel switch. As I was hooking up my radio I touched the radio's red wire with a black line on the metal inside the radio space. When I did that the dash lights cam on with out the key on or the switch being on. I used my volt meter to check the volts and I'm getting 12.5v with out the key being in at that red wire with a black line. Any I deals?

No ideals?

Have you checked fuses?

Where exactly did you test the volts at?

Fuses are fine. I checked all the radio wires for voltage because I was putting in my CD player. But when I hit the constant power wire to a ground the dash lights come on. I'm dreading searching for a shorted out wire.

Usually it's the dimmer switch that goes bad, try replacing that.

Also, always remove the ground wire from the battery when doing electrical work.

How would the dimmer switch be the cause? The constant power for the radio makes the dash lights come on when its grounded. I doubt its the dimmer switch.

While messing with your radio you didn't happen to mess with the most likely orange wire.. It will say alumination didja?

Yeah I think I might have.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back