The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Dash lights and turbo timer on without key

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurrowZ

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Hoping somebody can help with this, because I need the car running tomorrow..

Anyway. long story short, I pulled the engine harness out to do a very minor wire tuck which consisted of ONLY extending injector, tps, and cas wires.

Now I have everything plugged back in where it should be (at least I believe), as soon as I plugged the last harness in, I heard the DSM "beep beep beep beep" as if the key is in the ignition. However, the key was not in the ignition.

The A/T Temp, Brake and I think battery? lights are now on without the key inserted. I can't get them to turn off without disconnecting the battery. The turbo timer is also lit up but does not count down or anything. It's a cheap china-made "Apexi" piece from eBay.

I did a lot of searching and some people were suggesting a stuck MPI relay, or something with the turbo timer. I'm looking for a little more feedback on this before I go continue on this adventure. I'll have a few hours to work on it tomorrow before I need it so I'm just looking for suggestions on the best places to check or start.

Thanks for reading!

Bumping to add info. Really hope some electrical gurus can help me out here.

I removed the turbo timer completely. No change but of course the turbo timer no longer is powered on. The dash lights that stay on without key can be turned off if I unplug the BIG BLUE connector behind the radio, or if I pull the 20A Engine fuse.

Also, tested a couple different ECUs but no matter what, key in or not, I can't get my check engine light to illuminate. The only thing I can get to work is my O/D off light with the key in the ignition. Otherwise the dash lights just stay on without change. The car will crank but won't start. The fuel pump will not activate (possibly due to ECU not getting any power?) while the key is turned to start.

Did I forget to hook up a ground somewhere and cause the circuit to ground elsewhere? I'm beyond stumped with this one. Any help at all or anybody having been in a similar situation who could chime in would help greatly.

Still hoping somebody can chime in. I tested a few more things and came up with a few results but nothing huge.

-MFI/MPI relay good
-No power to above relay
-Test light lights up on both pins of the #4 20A Engine fuse with fuse removed
-ECU good

Pardon my asking, but which plugs specifically?

Im having a similar issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back