1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Dash light doesn't work. Fuses are all good. Im confused..

Posted by DSMTyson, Dec 16, 2010

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. DSMTyson

DSMTyson Proven Member

Joined Nov 9, 2010
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Like the title says the dash lights in my car randomly dont work anymore. I noticed this yesterday night when i went to autozone to get some loctite. The blinkers still work but the speedo, tach, engine temp, oil pressure, fuel guage all dont light up anymore. i checked all of the fuses, im stumped. :aha:

I read a 5 year old thread similar to my story and someone mentioned the dimmer switch for the light going out. They spliced into the yellow/black wire for the dimmer and it worked, they just werent able to dim the lights anymore. If anyone can elaborate on this process that would be great. I hope thats whats wrong with it. If anyone has any other suggestions on what to check that would be appreciated.

1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. fourgsixthree33

fourgsixthree33 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2010
    Athens, Pennsylvania
    Do your tail lights work when the gauges aren't lighting up?

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    The dimmer switch burns up when too much load is on it (or it just wears out normally). If you don't want to spend the $ for a new dimmer, just connect it's black-yellow wire to it's black one (or to ground). This connects all dash lights to ground so they are on full intensity. You won't be able to dim them but you then save the $ for not having to get a new dimmer. And if you always run the dash lights on full anyway...

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  4. DSMTyson

DSMTyson Proven Member

Joined Nov 9, 2010
    Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Wow i never realized it, but no, the tail lights and license plate lights are not on when i turn the lights on. what does that mean?

EDIT: I searched no tail lights and no dash lights on the forums, and i found out the issue. For some odd reason there was no fuse in the spot labled "TAIL". Idk what the hell happened to it but it vanished. I put a 30A fuse in the spot(last one i had, besides it cant hurt LOL).

Thanks fourgsixthree33!!

1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    ^ Haha. Told you it mysteriously eats things.

6. fourgsixthree33

fourgsixthree33 Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2010
    Athens, Pennsylvania
    You are welcome. The reason I was asked because 9 times out of 10 if the tails and license plate lights don't work as well, it's a fuse. I have never heard of a fuse falling out but, I guess it's possible. Glad you got the problem solved.

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM