The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

cylinder wall wtf!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicious_mole

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 3, 2005
Granger, Indiana
So I took my block into work after tearing it down so i could give it a good hot bath in the cuda parts cleaner. I got it out and dried it off when i noticed something looking like it was melted to the cylinder wall?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is this something that is going to require the block to be bored? i tried scraping it off but it didnt really seem to faze it

let me know what you guys think

okay ill try to get it to a machine shop and see what they can do about it, hopefully its saveable within the piston - cyl wall clearance spec if not

WTH... looks like you took a Dremel to it... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say those gouges are really deep and you're probably going to have to have the walls cut, not just a simple hone.

WTH... looks like you took a Dremel to it... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say those gouges are really deep and you're probably going to have to have the walls cut, not just a simple hone.

me personally i have only tried to scrap with my finger and what not. I never would touch a cylinder with a dremel. Im not retarted just kinda looking for some help on this.

Had you melted a piston? Those look like brand-new crosshatches, who did that work?

I recently picked this motor up from some here in michigan for a build. He cross hatched to break the surface rust off on the cylinders. I personally did not melt a piston to the block. It just looks like that may be what type of material is stuck there.

All I have done is tore the block down fully and put it in the parts cleaner and then oiled the cylinder walls so they dont rust.

well now i took it to the machine shop today after work and the guy said its going to have to be bored so now i have to find some different pistons for my build now :( oh well

A new block is probably easier to get then trading pistons around with someone. Unless you can return them, of course.

Its not a big deal its easier for me to use this one then go around tring to find another. I already ordered my oem .020 over pistons and they should be here this week. So maybe I can drop the block, pistons, rods and crank off and get it all done so I can get some bearings ordered and get the other stuff i need. I love how i told my self i have all winter to build this and im all in a big hurry for some reason :thumb:

yeah i got my .020 over oem 2g pistons on the way so i have to wait for them to show up so i can send it to the machine shop for the boring process and rod machining and crank polish ect...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back