The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Cylinder Wall Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitpi

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 13, 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
I'm looking into buying a "rebuilt" short block with ~3K miles on it before being torn apart due to timing belt failure, and I have no reason to believe the seller is less than genuine. However, looking at the cyclinder walls, I am concerned by odd wair marks on #1 & #4. Is this normal? A concern?

I have had some friends say its ok, others say bore the cylinder and rehone it. Oppinions please.

Edit: looking at the photos some more, it appears to just be cylinder 1, and the slight blemish on 2... not 4.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 211
Yeah thats definatly not good. You're gonna have to pull the slugs out, hope like hell they aren't scored up too bad and rehone the block to get rid of those marks. Basically it looks like the ring was installed improperly and gouged the block.
Sorry man but dont buy it.

Yea I agree I would not run it that way let alone buy it. Looks like something got in a ring land and mard the wall real good. If you buy it get it professionally torque plate honed cant really tell how deep it is but should be able to hone out if you cant feel it. If you can feel it find something that needs no work. If it were me I would pass on it and find a motor in better condition. You will be putting alot of money in this block to make it right its not worth it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back